• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for Cuban Oregano/Mexican Mint (Plectranthus amboinicus)

Chris Hennes

It is from Africa to start with and used in African foods and lovely with lamb and zebra says a friend of mine.  So I think you can find a use for it.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I got a free sample of this plant in with another plant order, and I thought before I bothered taking up space in the garden with it I'd see if there are any recipes worth using it in. Does anyone else use/grow this stuff?

Chris, I (accidentally) grew some.  Frankly, I didn't like the taste.  Be careful where you plant it--it takes over like a weed! Or at least mine did.

Shelby, can you describe the flavor?  Was it more like mint, oregano, both, or neither?  Sour, bitter, tart, bland,...? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well, I LOVE cilantro.  This was like mint/grass/hint of cilantro.   Bitter if I had to pick one taste.  I tried to use it in both Mexican and Italian foods....no go for me.

Chris, have you tasted yours?  Or is it seed?

Well, I LOVE cilantro.  This was like mint/grass/hint of cilantro.   Bitter if I had to pick one taste.  I tried to use it in both Mexican and Italian foods....no go for me.

Chris, have you tasted yours?  Or is it seed?

It's a cutting, but it's only got two little leaves, so I am not going to taste it just yet  :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It's a cutting, but it's only got two little leaves, so I am not going to taste it just yet  :smile:

You may like it.  I have friends that detest certain herbs....and I love them.  I don't want to discourage you.

Well my friend  cant afford anything else but Zebra, lamb or gnu.  But I have seen in fancy stores frozen  Zebra steaks but that is here in Sweden.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I have used Cuban Oregano for years grown in pots outdoors in warm weather and inside during the cold months. I use it to make tea as a digestive and just to enjoy on a cold day. Easiest method, muddle the leaves in a two cup measuring cup, add a sweetener, some honey or agave, microwave for one to two minutes then strain into a cup.