• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Forrest Inn/ German food in NNJ

Wiener

Haven't read much on the Black Forrest Inn lately so I was wondering if anyone has visited them

recently. Has anyone been to any other decent German restaurants in NNJ? I find that the winter is the best time for this cuisine.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I was there about 4 months ago. We had the sauerbraten, hassenpfeffer, red cabbage, and spatzle, which were all excellent, along with some nice hefeweizen beers. I think we had the shrimp cocktail and smoked salmon for an appetizer, which were both forgettable (probably not the thing to order in a German restaurant). The only other German place I have been to in NJ was the Triangle Hofbrau on Rt. 23. Black Forest Inn was clearly better. I would love to go back and try the goose.

Not in N NJ, but central: The Blue Danube in Trenton wins raves from foodie friends who enjoy this style cuisine. It's a very pretty place, like your grandmother's dining room, and the spaetzle is legendary.

I really should try this Black Forest Inn. It's rather hard to find German food done really well in this area. The last German place I visited in Jersey was Helmer's Cafe in Hoboken. It was alright, but not good enough to make me rush back. I had a similar experience at Triangle Hofbrau on Route 23 a few years ago.

I just don't think that German food is popular enough in the States to encourage a German restaurant to be its best. I fear that maybe the attitude is that there are so few German restaurants with which to compete, so why bother making better German food (since most people don't have a good benchmark by which to judge)? Unfortunately, of course, that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy which results in me being unable to get really good meals like I've had in Germany and Austria.

This is a very old review I wrote on The Black Forest Inn but it will give you some indication of the type of food they serve. Ignore the prices. This was written 2/99

BLACK FOREST INN

249 Route 206

Stanhope, NJ 07874

973-347-3344

If you are tired of the "same old" food, locate your NJ map and plot out the quickest route to Stanhope and the Black Forest Inn. Heinz Aichem and his son Heinrich owner/chefs of this novel restaurant have had extensive culinary experiences in Europe. Authentic German haute cuisine comparable to the elegant establishments found in Germany is served at this country inn open since 1978. Each visit was a delightful experience as the food was so pleasingly different from the usual cuisine that I often find in restaurants. Service was excellent; both waitstaff and busboys cheerfully greeted us and attended to our needs throughout the evening.

We sat in one of the small rooms scattered throughout the restaurant which provided privacy and a feeling of comfort. Attractive oak, stone or brick walls, oak beamed ceilings, stained glass windows, a magnificent wooden cuckoo clock by the hostess stand and waitresses wearing beautiful flower embroidered jumpers, lace blouses and aprons transported us to the Black Forest, birthplace of Chef Heinz. If you want to be where the action is sit in the bar area with its gorgeous "see in" wine cellar, impressive woodwork, fireplace, piano and a large display of steins. Be forewarned, this was a noisy, smoke filled room.

APPETIZERS: When seated thin addictive slices of buttery garlic bread were placed on our table. This was replaced with warm crispy rolls and sweet butter when our appetizers arrived. Wine can be ordered by the glass, in carafes or try one of the interesting bottles of German wines. Lowell had a huge mug of Octoberfest beer reasonably priced at $4.75. Specials with their prices were written on a menu insert and the waitress was able to intelligently answer all of our menu related questions.

Flavors from three fishes were distinct in the colorful fish terrain ($8.75) made with lobster, salmon and scallops and served with a creamy dill and lobster sauce. Watercress rounded out this outstanding dish. Another winner was the rich gloriously smooth potato leek soup ($4.25) brimming with flavor. I usually avoid cream soups but this rendition was so delectable that I couldn’t put my spoon down.

Maultaschen, also known as Swabian Pockets are the German version of ravioli, wontons or pirogi. They originated in Swabia, a medieval duchy in southwest Germany. Maultaschen allowed people to eat meat during Lent as the meat was mixed with other ingredients and concealed under a pasta

dough, therefore out of the watchful eyes of the parish priest. At the Black Forest Inn maultaschen topped with fried onions and surrounded by a veal demi-glace ($7.75) was made with finely ground veal, spinach, eggs, onion and parsley encased in a rectangular dough and boiled. Although the texture was unusual, almost gelatinous, I found the maultaschen to be heavier than other filled pastas.

Entrees were served with a choice of two items. If you select the tossed salad you will be presented with mixed field greens, tomato, onion, cucumber and endive with a choice of dressing. The chunky blue cheese was especially flavorful being made with sour cream and mayonnaise. An à la carte invigorating cucumber salad ($3.50) served in a chilled bowl, contained seeded rounds of cucumber and onion that had been marinated in a vinegar/dill dressing.

ENTREES: Everything was delicious but if available order the roast goose with an apple cassis sauce ($19.75) which had moist tender meat, crisp skin and not an ounce of fat. My roasted duck breast ($21.50) was also an excellent worthy entree. The accompanying crisp tart apples and cranberry cassis sauce provided a perfect combination to enhance this fowl. Flavorful roasted cod ($20.50) had an addictive potato crust and creamy mustard sauce. Schwabischer Roast Braten ($20.50), a fried steak, was tender and a substantial dish with the accompanying fried onions and finely shredded carrots and zucchini. If you like veal parmigiana try the Veal Schnitzelette Gruyere ($18) as it was similar to the Italian version with the addition of a cream sauce. An understated dish that was remarkable because of the simplicity and quality of the ingredients was the perfectly cooked tender Wiener Schnitzel ($20.50). Squeeze some fresh lemon atop of this breaded and fried meat and enjoy its flavors and textures. I liked the rare roasted lamb sirloin with ratatouille ($21.50) but Lowell felt that the rosemary sauce overwhelmed the dish and masked the taste of the other ingredients. All of the entrees come with sides but be sure to order two "not to be missed" items: sweet red cabbage and an outstanding potato dumpling the size of a baseball oozing buttery bread crumbs. Other side dishes that we tried on subsequent visits were yellow and green zucchini enlivened with tomatoes, a fresh mixed vegetable medley consisting of haricot vert, yellow peppers, peas and carrots, a tasty homemade spatzle and rice pilaf.

DESSERT: Do not bypass the exemplary desserts, averaging $5 to $6, or the coffee. Yes, I said coffee. For those of you who regularly read my reviews it is no secret that I am often unhappy with the coffee in NJ restaurants. Not so here as it was strong, full flavored and drinkable. Most of the desserts were made in house and at Christmas time all the desserts were artistically presented with

edible green candy holly leaves and sprinkled with tiny dots of red candy, an attractive touch. On other visits we were treated to candy stars and flowers. The heavenly chocolate hazelnut mousse presented as a cylinder was topped with raspberry studded whipped cream and surrounded by raspberry, peach and creme anglaise sauces that were exquisitely used to paint a floral design on the plate. Apple strudel with its flaky crust, tart apples, raisins and nuts was luscious. We also aggressively devoured the almond cookie cup with fresh berries, creamy vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce. The raspberry cranberry sorbet served in a silver goblet was outstanding leaving us with a lip puckering sensation.

A popular German ending to your meal is to have Jagermeister, a 70 proof German liqueur composed from a secret blend of 56 herbs, fruits, roots and spices. Jagermeister, which means "hunt master" is best served icy cold as it helps tame the strong herbal flavor. My dining companions liked it but it tasted like medicine to me. The bottle label was interesting though with a stag and cross to symbolize St. Hubertus, the patron saint of hunters. Whether you end your meal with Jagermeister or coffee be sure to seek out this restaurant. You will not be disappointed. I intend to return here often. With wine, tax and tip the bill averaged $42.

Cuisine: German/Continental

Alcohol: Yes

Smoking: Non-smoking rooms available

Credit Cards: All major credit cards

Hours: Lunch Mon., Weds. to Fri. 11:30-2

Dinner Mon., Weds to Sat. 5-10

Sun. 1-9

Closed Tues.

Dress: Casual/neat to jacket and tie

Reservations: Recommended

Handicap Accessible: Yes. Bathrooms are wheelchair accessible.

Price Range: Moderate/Expensive

Date appeared: 2/1/99

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For upscale German food The Black Forest Inn, Rt 206, Stanhope is the place to go. Thin slices of buttery garlic bread were placed on our table when we were seated and these were replaced with warm crispy rolls and sweet butter when our appetizers arrived. For appetizers we had the maultaschen (ravioli filled with veal, spinach, eggs, onion, and parsley) served with fried onions; a cold seafood salad; lobster medallion and scallops; and a mixed green salad with dried cherries and a blue cheese vinaigrette. Entrees were a fabulous tender duck breast with apples and cranberry cassis; rack of lamb with red wine sauce; venison and quail combination and filet of beef with two different sauces. Dinner comes with a choice of sides and we all loved the cholesterol laden potato dumpling and red cabbage which is cooked in goose fat. Other sides were fresh zucchini and spatzle. We shared a Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte--Black Forest Cake--for dessert. And of course Lowell couldn't leave without a glass of with Jagermeister! With two bottles of wine the bill was about $62 a person. We ate and drank well! Phone 973-347-3344.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE