• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide in reverse- sear then sousvide

Anonymous Modernist 660

I wanted to know if it is possible to reverse the normal order of sousvide, ie: sear the protein, then put into bag with seasoning to cook through.

1) will this have any effect on cooking? either cooking times or quality of final product?

2) are there food safety issues that emerge?

(this is for private house not restaurant)

According to Dave Arnolds onhttp://www.cookingissues.com/the best way is to sear it before and after. Like Keith said you need to sear it after so that it has the right texture and mouthfeel. According to the cooking issues team it's also good to sear it before to improve to sterilize the surface of the meat, improve the taste and the qulity of the crust on the second sear.

• 1 year later...

I've done that and the results were great... Just like LFMichaud said... You do it before and after. I used the technique for a shortrib strip. But I just grilled at very high temperature 2 of the 4 sides of the meat, then vacuum packed it and I cooked it for 18 hours to medium rare.

For serving, I just finished the 2 unmarked sides of the meat and served it right away, the flavor was good and the huge benefit is that I got a great "jus" in the cooking bag. It was so good that a piece of meat that was supposed to be served just grilled ended up served with a flavorful black pepper sauce that I made using the cooking juices "a la minute".

That was my experience with "Sous vide in reverse".sf-cool.gif

Luis