• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide "Char Siew"

Anonymous Modernist 1920

I am experimenting in using Sous Vide to make "Char Siew" a popular Chinese BBQ pork disk where the pork is marinated in sweet/salty sauce and roasted. The cuts are normally tough cuts like pork belly, shoulder etc.

It has basically 3 stages:

1. Brining/marinating

2. Braising or slow cooking the meat

3. Charring the meat

I am considering using SV method for steps 1 and 2

Wonder whether anyone here has advice or experience on this?

The traditional wok way of making it is documented in my blog here:

http://www.foodcanon.com/2011/04/auntie-rubys-char-siew-revisited.html

http://www.foodcanon.com/2011/03/auntie-rubys-char-siew-this-food-blog.html

FoodCanon said:

I am experimenting in using Sous Vide to make "Char Siew" a popular Chinese BBQ pork disk where the pork is marinated in sweet/salty sauce and roasted. The cuts are normally tough cuts like pork belly, shoulder etc.

It has basically 3 stages:

1. Brining/marinating

2. Braising or slow cooking the meat

3. Charring the meat

I am considering using SV method for steps 1 and 2

Wonder whether anyone here has advice or experience on this?

The traditional wok way of making it is documented in my blog here:

http://www.foodcanon.com/2011/04/auntie-rubys-char-siew-revisited.html

http://www.foodcanon.com/2011/03/auntie-rubys-char-siew-this-food-blog.html

It will depend on what cut of meat you are using. From your recipe, it does, indeed, seem like this is more of a brine than a marinade. If you have a tough cut that requires a long cook time, you can brine and cook it sous vide at the same time. A more tender cut though would mean that you would have to brine it first and then cook it sous vide.

I agree that for the end step, a high heat wok or grill would be ideal.

Just last week I made some sous vide pork belly char siu. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I took a few pieces of skin on belly, and made a marinade. Sealed the bellies with some of the marinade and refrigerated 12 hours. Into the immersion circulator for 40 hours at 62C. Then I chilled with the belly between two sheet pans to flatten the top.

Before service, I opened the bags and cut off the skin then and glazed the bellies with the reserved marinade. A blow torch and a few coats of the marinade to glaze and crisp, then the bellies were put in a warm oven to finish heating through. Served with some bao.

IMG_1206.JPG

Max said:

It will depend on what cut of meat you are using. From your recipe, it does, indeed, seem like this is more of a brine than a marinade. If you have a tough cut that requires a long cook time, you can brine and cook it sous vide at the same time. A more tender cut though would mean that you would have to brine it first and then cook it sous vide.

I agree that for the end step, a high heat wok or grill would be ideal.

Thanks. I using tough cuts and will be trying out the simultaneous brining cum SV way.

Judy said:

Link back here when you blog about it. I'd love to see where your experimentations lead you!

I did a batch yesterday. 82°C for 8 hours, using pork collar cuts in the brine. Then I pan grill for about 2-3 minutes on all sides.

Results:

Texture - too soft, fats taste weird and soft

Taste - predictably, the taste is obviously more intense due to the brining cum cooking

Appearance - you can't tell the difference (compared to wok or oven roasting) after the final charring/grilling phase

If I were to do it again, I may need to knock down the temp.

I am yet to be convinced though that SV way can make a better Char Siew then the wok. There must be some science to it, but the brine cum oil (half-boiling, half-frying) wok method, along with the final charring (roasting) phase produces such good results. And it is convenient - the meat stays in one place till cooked, along with the resultant sauce. A kilo is done in 45 mins.

That said, I am sure the Sv method is useful for those who do not have a wok, proper stove or do not prefer the cooking management needed to keep it moist when roasted in the home oven.

avaserfi said:

I think you cooked your pork too high. Try to show off the benefit of long time, low temp cooking. It won't be the same as more conventional approaches, but can still be delicious. I finally had time to write up my method.

http://www.consumedgourmet.com/2011/09/pork-belly-char-siu.html

Thanks Andrew for the thot (slow cooking) and recipe. I will give this a try. Am sure it will turn out nice in its own unique way as another type of CS.