• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor pairings for Mole poblano

Chris Hennes

I was digging through the freezer and found a packet of Bayless's Mole Rojo Clásico from "Fiesta at Rick's"—it's a great sauce, which I had forgotten all about. Right now it's in with a pork shoulder sous vide (65°C for 36 hrs), but I haven't though much about what to serve it with. I'd like some atypical (e.g. non-Mexican) ideas for flavor pairings. Does anyone have any ideas for what to serve it with that might be a bit outside the norm?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Since it appears to be a bit nippy in Norman, you may want to bring a little springy brightness to the table. My first thoughts were a slaw with a tamarind dressing and rice in the tahdig style with raisins/currant/ dried cranberry to echo the mole, but accented with citrus zest. 

Edited to note that I have not made a tamarind dressing for slaw but the idea in this other topic has been on my mind: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147257-cabbage/page-2#entry1956760

Edited by heidih (log)

I've been planning to make some steamed pork buns and think pork & mole would be great in either a filled bun or sandwich style with slaw on the side as Heidi suggested.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

You could layer the mole between cooked lasagna noodles, along with some shredded manchego cheese or mild goat cheese, for a Mexican/fusion "lasagna." Heat the whole business in the oven so that the cheese melts and the flavors combine. Hmm...I want a green note in there. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top before service?

Or maybe put slaw on the side for this, too. It sounds good.

Only some ideas in my head. I haven't tried any of this. I'm leaving the experimentation up to you. Pls let us know what you decide.

• Like 1