• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

On 10/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, MaryIsobel said:

I had great success with my 10 year old fruit fresh. 30 hours in and not a sign of browning. I used honeycrisp apples as that was all I had but for the wedding, I want to do a red slice and a green slice so will stic with the honeycrisp and go with grannysmiths for the green.

Update: Even after 48 hours most of the leftovers were not brown. What I noticed is that if there was any bit of the core left, that part started to turn brown after about 30 hours. I sliced the apples (well, my husband did, hence the bits of core left🤣) swished them in the solution of fruit fresh (basically citric acid) and water for about 45 seconds, drained them in a colander and without patting them dry, put in ziplock bags. The next afternoon, we spread them on kitchen towels and patted them dry with paper towel. They were perfect.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

On 10/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, MaryIsobel said:

I had great success with my 10 year old fruit fresh. 30 hours in and not a sign of browning. I used honeycrisp apples as that was all I had but for the wedding, I want to do a red slice and a green slice so will stic with the honeycrisp and go with grannysmiths for the green.

Update: Even after 48 hours most of the leftovers were not brown. What I noticed is that if there was any bit of the core left, that part started to turn brown after about 30 hours. I sliced the apples (well, my husband did, hence the bits of core left🤣) swished them in the solution of fruit fresh (basically citric acid) and water for about 45 seconds, drained them in a colander withut patting them dry and put in ziplock bags. The next afternoon, we spread them on kitchen towels and patted them dry wiwth paper towel. They were perfect.