• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would like to make a meatloaf.  I have never made a meatloaf.  I have parsley, onions, and a two pound chuck roast.  What absolute beginner stuff should I know about making meatloaf?

Panade is critical for texture.  I use breadcrumbs + milk + an egg. Mixed together and let sit for 5 minutes.  1 cup of the gemish per pound of meat.

Couple tbsp worcestershire added to panade,,,often soy.  Garlic powder too.

Hand mix the meat with the panade goop aggressively.  It should look homogenious.  If your hands can't do it then I think a potato masher would do it.  I've never used a processor/mixer for this but I bet it would do fine so long as you don't make it too finely ground.

I often add ground pork to the beef...or breakfast sausage, 

I free form a stout loaf and put it in the BSO at 375 for 50 minutes.  Let rest for 15 minutes.

There are a million variations.  I often add andouille diced.

Finally taste the uncooked meat for seasoning

gfweb

gfweb

38 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would like to make a meatloaf.  I have never made a meatloaf.  I have parsley, onions, and a two pound chuck roast.  What absolute beginner stuff should I know about making meatloaf?

Panade is critical for texture.  I use breadcrumbs + milk + an egg. Mixed together and let sit for 5 minutes.  1 cup of the gemish per pound of meat.

Couple tbsp worcestershire added to panade,,,often soy.  Garlic powder too.

Hand mix the meat with the panade goop aggressively.  It should look homogenious.  If your hands can't do it then I think a potato masher would do it.  I've never used a processor/mixer for this but I bet it would do fine so long as you don't make it too finely ground.

I often add ground pork to the beef...or breakfast sausage, 

I free form a stout loaf and put it in the BSO at 375 for 50 minutes.  Let rest for 15 minutes.

There are a million variations.  I often add andouille diced.