• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can Boston Cream Pie be frozen?  I'm thinking of making individual ones and am wondering if I can do this.

I know exactly what you are asking and don't have the answer but this sort of query always reminds me of a comment by Niloufer Ichaporia King in her book, My Bombay Kitchen:

It keeps for at least a week refrigerated and can be successfully thawed. (Note, I didn't say 'frozen'. Anything can be successfully frozen).

🙃

Edited to add that because I'm a looker upper, I looked it up and I think this response to the question touched all bases:

It is best if you do not freeze Boston Cream Pie.
You can freeze a Boston Cream Pie if the Crème Pâtissière is made with Flour but not if it is made with Corn Starch. It will weep, break down and become watery.
There are also recipes that call for using Crème Pâtissière made with Gelatin which also freezes.
Any of them will be better if not frozen but you can but personally I wouldn’t.

That last line cracks me up!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can Boston Cream Pie be frozen?  I'm thinking of making individual ones and am wondering if I can do this.

I know exactly what you are asking and don't have the answer but this sort of query always reminds me of a comment by Niloufer Ichaporia King in her book, My Bombay Kitchen:

It keeps for at least a week refrigerated and can be successfully thawed. (Note, I didn't say 'frozen'. Anything can be successfully frozen).

🙃