• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

billyhill

billyhill

additions

Its about bacon,

My lack of faith bothers me. 2.5% (2.25/0.25%) salt/#1 pink salt? Or, do I need to modify my cure? I see a range of numbers. I am also alienated by most recipes having a fixed weight of pork. I like to be able to adjust and calculate.

With Canadian bacon and speck, I run 5 kg at a time. 2-2.5 kg packages. I add 50 grams of water each and curing mixture to bring meat and water mixture to 2.5%. Most of the liquid is usually absorbed by the time it is cured. I usually soak the loins before smoking for an hour or 2 and hot smoke at 225-250 till 140 internal (~4-6 hours) and then SV for a few hours @150. Is this the path?

The seasoning, I am comfortable with the seasoning, but...

I have read Ruhlman and Polcyn, and other books,  a host of websites, including this one, and have achieved paralysis by analysis. So now, I turn to my security blanket. Oh mighty egullet, help me. 

10.77 lbs. Honestly, It is the only pork belly that ever spoke to me

billyhill

billyhill

Its about bacon,

My lack of faith bothers me. 2.5% (2.25/0.25%) salt/#1 pink salt? Or, do I need to modify my cure? I see a range of numbers.

With Canadian bacon and speck, I run 5 kg at a time. 2-2.5 kg packages. I add 50 grams of water each and curing mixture to bring meat and water mixture to 2.5%. Most of the liquid is usually absorbed by the time it is cured. I usually soak the loins before smoking for an hour or 2 and hot smoke at 225-250 till 140 internal (~4-6 hours) and then SV for a few hours @150. Is this the path?

The seasoning, I am comfortable with the seasoning, but...

I have read Ruhlman and Polcyn, and other books,  a host of websites, including this one, and have achieved paralysis by analysis. So now, I turn to my security blanket. Oh mighty egullet, help me.