• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Alex

Alex

to fix a typo

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never was good at word problems...

Jo has 420 grams of canned blueberries, at 16 Brix.  And a jar of blueberry preserves at 65 Brix.  What weight of blueberry preserves must Jo add to the 420 grams of canned blueberries to achieve a sorbet mixture of 28 Brix?

Thanks for any help.  Make fun of me if you like.

Yikes, a story problem. It hit me like a ton of, well, you know.

But seriously, folks, I believe the answer is 136 grams. The canned berries have 420 x .16 = 67.2 grams of sucrose; 136 grams of preserves contains 136 x 0.65 = 88.4 grams of sucrose. Combine them, and you get 556 grams of sorbet mixture with 155.6 grams of sucrose, or 28 Brix.

Alex

Alex

to fix a typo

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Jo has 420 grams of canned blueberries, at 16 Brix.  And a jar of blueberry preserves at 65 Brix.  What weight of blueberry preserves must Jo add to the 420 grams of canned blueberries to achieve a sorbet mixture of 28 Brix?

Anyhow, I believe the answer is 136 grams. The canned berries have 420 x .16 = 67.2 grams of sucrose; 136 grams of preserves contains 136 x 0.65 = 88.4 grams of sucrose. Combine them, and you get 556 grams of sorbet mixture with 155.6 grams of sucrose, or 28 Brix.

Alex

Alex

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anyhow, I believe the answer is 136 grams. The canned berries have 420 x .16 = 67.2 grams of sucrose; 136 grams of preserves contains 136 x 0.65 = 88.4 grams of sucrose. Combine them, and you get 556 grams of sorbet mixture with 155.6 grams of sucrose, or 23 Brix.