• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Cream: Uses? Ideas?

Shel_B

I got lots of coconut cream when I made coconut milk recently. More cream than I wanted from making the milk. Any suggestions on how I can use it? Can coconut cream replace regular cream in some dishes? I was thinking of using it in a panna cotta recipe.

... Shel

You can try whipping it. I don't know what the fat content would be in homemade coconut cream but I had to come up with a bunch of non-dairy (parve) desserts last year and I layered whopped coconut cream with chocolate mousse for one of them. It was much lighter than dairy whipped cream and the flavour what great combined with the chocolate.

• Like 2

A little googling led to this fascinating page. Quick summary: no good for ganache... use it in curries. Use the coconut milk for the ganache.http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/11793/could-coconut-cream-be-used-to-create-a-non-dairy-ganache-for-whipping

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

You can try whipping it. I don't know what the fat content would be in homemade coconut cream but I had to come up with a bunch of non-dairy (parve) desserts last year and I layered whopped coconut cream with chocolate mousse for one of them. It was much lighter than dairy whipped cream and the flavour what great combined with the chocolate.

Yes, I'm thinking of it in desserts, in lieu of cream. Might work out well. Am definitely going to try making some "whopped" cream <LOL>

... Shel