• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Kabocha Squash

Shel_B

This morning I discovered a bin of red kabocha squash at the neighborhod squash store. I don't recall having seen this type of squash before, although we do enjoy the regular kabocha frequently.

Does anyone have any experience with this squash? Does it have the same, or similar, taste and texture as the regular kabocha? I'd imagine that one could use the same cooking techniques, but if the taste is different, maybe some different spices and herbs and techniques might be in order. Any comments?

... Shel

Are you sure they are not just regular pumpkins renamed so they can charge more money? :-)

dcarch

Yes, I am sure. And, FWIW, the price of all the squash, including pumpkins, was the same.

... Shel

There are a few red or orange kabocha squash cultivars ---- all have a somewhat different flavor.

​Red Kuri is probably the most common, it has a bit of a chestnut type flavor.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Here's a link with some pics of the squash:

http://flowtoxcleanse.com/roasted-red-kabocha-squash/

That doesn't look like Red Kuri which protrudes a bit on the stem end; it's more likely the hybrid named Sunshine which is bred by Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine.

Sunshine has become quite popular but it's impossible to be 100% sure because there are other cultivars that are similar.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

You won't really know until you try. I generally nuke kabochas briefly so I can halve them easily. I remove seeds and proceed. I would purchase one and cut in half or quarters and try out that small bit in a simple prep. Perhaps just sliced, tossed with a bit of olive oil, S & P and baked. Once you know what you are dealing with the seasoning variations may be more clear. I can't imagine a significantly different flavor than the regular mottled green one. The difference within that type have been sweetness and starchiness - but that was cultivation condition and age dependent, not type dependent.

You won't really know until you try. I generally nuke kabochas briefly so I can halve them easily. I remove seeds and proceed. I would purchase one and cut in half or quarters and try out that small bit in a simple prep. Perhaps just sliced, tossed with a bit of olive oil, S & P and baked. Once you know what you are dealing with the seasoning variations may be more clear. I can't imagine a significantly different flavor than the regular mottled green one. The difference within that type have been sweetness and starchiness - but that was cultivation condition and age dependent, not type dependent.

I bought one, and, like you, I generally nuke for a bit in order to more easily cut the squash. I plan to do a simple prep, and also to add one to a veggie stew. I bought one for Toots, as well, as she likes the kabocha, so she can try it independently of me.

... Shel

Please let us know what you think of the flavor.

Keep in mind that when it comes to the common names of squash those names are often used very loosely...especially when it comes to hybrids.

I find that flavor can vary greatly, but, of course, flavor perception is an individual thing.

When creating hybrids, all sorts of crazy things can happen with some of the crossing techniques used for "improvement."

"Kobocha" squash is a member of the species C. maxima, so it can cross with any of several other members of C. maxima. C. maxima can be crossed with C. moschata. C. pepo can be crossed with C. maxima.

So, the possibilities are nearly endless.

If the squash you have is, in fact, Sunshine or another hybrid, God only knows what was used to create it.

My experience is mostly with red kuris and sugar pumpkins, but if they're mostly interchangeable, my favorite things to do with them are making soup, gratins, and stuffing/baking them whole.

Andrea Nguyen's web site Viet World Kitchen recently posted suggestions for Asian Pumpkin Recipes and calls out kabocha squash as one of her favorites, worth checking out.

• Like 1

That doesn't look like Red Kuri which protrudes a bit on the stem end; it's more likely the hybrid named Sunshine which is bred by Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine.

Sunshine has become quite popular but it's impossible to be 100% sure because there are other cultivars that are similar.

Taking a second look, the squash I bought looks quite similar. Today I'll roast it ...

... Shel