• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

I have a $15 Aroma 3-cup machine that I'm very happy with. It works pretty well for my husband and I, who like rice just fine, but are more inclined toward pasta as a daily starch. The steamer basket is quite nice, and I only wish it had a keep-warm function. Sometimes I need to soak the basket overnight, and a lot of times I also make couscous or soup in it, so the multipurpose nature of it is nice.

I bought it when I was a poor college student, and after 5 years it finally died, and I replaced it with another one. It's small, so it doesn't hog any more pantry room than my ice cream machine or fondue pot, and it simplifies things to the point that my ex-roomie, the woman who set rice-a-roni on fire and gave us all food poisoning from Kraft Mac and Cheese can use it. Dump 1 cup rice, fill to line, push button down. She's only screwed it up once!

I have had the Zo IH rice cooker for well over a year and I use it all the time.

Get the 10 cup, it is more versatile and reasonably price.

I like this vendor, have bought several appliances from them and like their service.

IH rice cooker at ebay express

I cook a lot of mixed rice, that is, browns, blacks, mahogany, wild, as well as white, along with other grains and seeds, even nuts.

The "endless" keep warm feature of these cookers is terrific for any kind of rice, grains, etc.

I cook a batch in the morning and leave it on the "keep warm" setting until evening.

It may sound weird, but it makes the rice flavor richer and the texture is just the way I like it.

I have served rice prepared this way to many people and everyone mentions that the flavor is exceptional, in fact, they ask where I got the rice and it is just the stuff available to anyone. I have been buying the rice "medley" sold in bulk at Winco but many stores now sell similar products.

I use rice in many applications, sometimes needing just a cup or less - making a larger batch of any type of rice, then vacuum sealing portion-sized bags for the freezer saves a great deal of time.

I like rice in salads (great for dieting) and having it on hand is ideal and it is a lot cheaper than the "instant" rice which has all kinds of additives I don't want in my food.

Over the years I have had many types of rice cookers, in fact I still have one of the first Panasonics that was sold in the US. They all work well but this one does it best. I had the "neuro" fuzzy logic cooker before I got this one and it worked almost as well - I gave it to my daughter who uses it almost daily.

Having the larger size allows me to cook other things, such as potatoes, other root vegetables, without taking up stovetop room and it holds them at a perfect temperature until I am ready to use them.

You might want to read this brief article about rice cookers

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I would recommend the IH rice cookers if:

--you cook rice a couple times a week

--you eat rice because you love rice, it is not just something you dump a stirfry on top off

--you are sometimes in a hurry and need that rice in 14 minutes

--like to cook brown rice perfectly

--occassionally make other rice dishes like okayu, takikomi, etc

--prefer your rice either firmer or softer than the one button rice cooker makes it

--pick one with a timer if you like rice for breakfast or to be ready when you get home from work

In the other thread I wrote:

Fuzzy logic rice cookers are disappearing from the shelves as the IH cookers have now taken over. I purchase a pretty high end model about 2 years ago (in Japan) for about $250 and have never looked back. The rice does cook better and the brown rice comes out perfectly even with no soaking. There are different water levels for white and brown rice and the cooking time is different as well, my cooker takes 60 minutes for brown and 38 minutes for a regular white. It also has a speed function and can cook 2 cups in 14 minutes (5 cups takes 18). I really like the curry rice function (this makes rice to eat with curry not the curry itself), it takes 25 minutes and it isn't as sticky and a little firmer.

Here is my post from when I first purchased it:

I bought one of the new IH rice cookers a little over 2 months ago, it is a Sanyo that is most likely not available outside of Japan. tongue.gif

I love it! It cooks brown rice better than any other rice cooker/pan method.

You first pick the kind of rice from plain white, brown, sprouted, brown-sprouted, no wash, etc then you can choose the texture desired from things like normal, softer, harder, chewy, etc as well as special settings for okowa (sticky rice), rice to serve with curry rice (harder than average), sushi rice, etc. It also has the typical setting for okayu (rice gruel) and mixed rice dishes.

It cooks Jasmine, Basmati and American long rice perfectly as well, they don't have setting for these kinds of rices but I just use the typical white rice setting.

I find their normal rice is a bit soft for my liking to always set it to katame (firmer).

The typical rice course cooks in 38 minutes quite a bit faster than my old fuzzy logic Zojirushi and the fast course can cook in 18 minutes and it makes incredible rice.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin, which Sanyo model did you get? I'm thinking of picking one up, and your $250 model would be much more affordable now, if it's still around.

I saw the copper-pot model at Yodobashi Camera yesterday, but it was priced at under Y100 000. Not that I would buy it even then...But my friend was telling me that her husband bought a rice cooker that was about Y50 000! For a rice cooker!!!

I have to wonder, can a person really tell the difference between rice cooked in a Y10 000 cooker, and a Y50 000 cooker? (Assuming they're the same type of cooker, ie both IH, etc.)

I am so glad rykomatsu started this thread, because my husband and I were discussing this very subject just last night!

I have a burning question about these. I have two Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice cookers--the big white 5-cup one and the smaller beige 3-cup one. The 5-cup one is the one I use most of the time (because it's at our main home) and it accumulates the most disgusting, mucilaginous white glop on the underside of the steam hole. It only takes a second to clean it up but the look of it just offends my delicate sensibilities! Especially since I know that the 3-cup one always stays perfectly clean--I wipe the inside of the lid but really it's a waste of time because there's never anything there. I'm talking about the inside of the hinged outer lid, not the inner metal lid, which of course needs to be washed.

I was just going to buy another 3-cup one for home and sell the 5-cup on eBay, until I started reading about the IH cookers. Now I'm convinced I need an IH cooker, but I REALLY want to avoid buying one that collects this glop. Can everyone tell me what brand and model they have, and whether it does this?

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

Kristin, which Sanyo model did you get?  I'm thinking of picking one up, and your $250 model would be much more affordable now, if it's still around.

I saw the copper-pot model at Yodobashi Camera yesterday, but it was priced at under Y100 000.  Not that I would buy it even then...But my friend was telling me that her husband bought a rice cooker that was about Y50 000!  For a rice cooker!!! 

I have to wonder, can a person really tell the difference between rice cooked in a Y10 000 cooker, and a Y50 000 cooker?  (Assuming they're the same type of cooker, ie both IH, etc.)

I have the Sanyo ECJ-FK18 (10 cup), the cheapest I see it right now is about 20,000 yen.

It is a couple years old, so here is the current ranking list at Kakaku.com

I buy all electronic online now because the price is significantly cheaper than a local electronics store (even the massive chain ones). I save close to 20,000 a couple years ago on my rice cooker by buying it online.

I was just going to buy another 3-cup one for home and sell the 5-cup on eBay, until I started reading about the IH cookers. Now I'm convinced I need an IH cooker, but I REALLY want to avoid buying one that collects this glop. Can everyone tell me what brand and model they have, and whether it does this?

No glop on my Sanyo ECJ-FK18!

I posted earlier today about my experience with the Zo IH in

this thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well,

I was at the store today and saw a 5.5cup IH rice cooker for a smidge under $300 after tax...

same one in Japan is selling for 11500yen :(

http://kakaku.com/item/21259010420/

I'm thinking it might be cheaper to have my family send it to me via EMS which would run it into the $150 range...or I can keep cooking rice in a donabe until I go next April lol, though considering I make nabemono a lot, this is starting to become a huge hassle as we're heading into Autumn/Winter lol.

this thread.

Andisenji, in the other thread, you mentioned that you cook vegetables and potatoes in your Zo. Can you tell me how you do that? I recently acquired a 10 cup Zo IH rice cooker, and I'm interested in learning more ways to use it. It really does make great rice (much better than my old, one-button model) and I'm amazed at how well the keep warm function works.

This might be a really foolish response, but I have been cooking exceptionally great rice in a variety of microvave ovens and the same set of Corningware 1, 2, and 3 quart covered rectangular ceramic containers for over 20 years.

A variety of rices, from jasmine to converted, sucessful every time. One can control the degree of moistness, from dry to soft. Sometimes I pre-cook basmati very dry for later incorporation into pulaos, essentially steaming the rice in scant water. At other times, I make congee. Glutinous rice can be cooked well for later use in lotus leaf wraps fpor steaming.

One needs to establish the settings for each oven, i.e. the heat and water level for each pot and rice type/later use, whether to soak or not, and then it is the press of a button or two.

The Sears microvave oven even has a special rice cooking function built in.

Before purchasing a dedicated rice cooker, please re-evaluate your microvave.

[i am from Bengal, where we consume far larger quantities of rice per day per person, than anyone from Japan, 365 days a year!!]

gautam

...or I can keep cooking rice in a donabe until I go next April lol, though considering I make nabemono a lot, this is starting to become a huge hassle as we're heading into Autumn/Winter lol.

Maybe you could pick up a no-frills Western brand of rice cooker (T-Fal, Hamilton Beach, etc.) for $50 and put up with that until April. Give it away once you get your IH cooker.

Or borrow someone's backup rice cooker? Like AndieSenji, we also have our older rice cooker and occasionally lend it out. We certainly won't go back to using it as our main rice cooker. If you were in my city, I would be happy to lend it out, because I know that these cookers are exceptionally durable under normal use.

If you do pick up a 100V rice cooker when you're in Japan, do remember to use it with a step-down transformer, as I mentioned in the other thread.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Before purchasing a dedicated rice cooker, please re-evaluate your microvave.

[i am from Bengal, where we consume far larger quantities of rice per day per person, than anyone from Japan, 365 days a year!!]

Note that the original poster already has a rice cooker and probably doesn't need to be convinced about the merits of a rice cooker. Furthermore, I'm not aware of any microwave with both a timer function and constant warming function.

The volume of rice eaten by Indians vs. Japanese is really quite irrelevant to this discussion! :smile:

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Sanrensho,

I added the Japan & Bengal comparison as an estimate of the quantities of rice cooked daily in a typical household, and hence the relative convenience of each appliance.

It was not meant as a rude comaprison, but a significant one, because, watching Hiroyuki's blog, and my long fascination with Japanese foodways, I would estimate a Japanese urban household to be happy with a 5.5 cup rice cooker and not use that amount per meal.

Whereas the 3 quart Corningware can hold at least 2.5 cups [American] raw rice and its cooked form, and this would suffice 2 per meal, "raw" or FOB from Bengal or Bangladesh--quite a heavy load on any appliance if multiplied 2x365. However, a microwave shrugs off this amount of usage, plus is able to cook more food without easily wearing out.

Yes, I do know about the original post, and you may kindly read my first line.

I wrote of my experiences hoping that they might suggest to others thinking to buy investment an expensive rice cooker when they already had a perfectly serviceable one sitting in their kitchen.

You of course need not bother.

However some others not quite so wise or knowledgeable in the ways of rice [many Americans new to rice cookery still remain a bit apprehensive of this grain] who also might read this thread might benefit and save money on the more expensive types of rice cookers. It is for them that this is written, including the quantum of use that a microwave will endure perhaps more easily than the smaller sizes of rice cookers.

Sanrensho,

I added the Japan & Bengal comparison as an estimate of the quantities of rice cooked daily in a typical household, and hence the relative convenience of each appliance.

It was not meant as a rude comaprison, but a significant one, because, watching Hiroyuki's blog, and my long fascination with Japanese foodways, I would estimate a Japanese urban household to be happy with a 5.5 cup rice cooker and not use that amount per meal.

Whereas the 3 quart Corningware can hold at least 2.5 cups [American] raw rice and its cooked form, and this would suffice 2 per meal, "raw" or FOB from Bengal or Bangladesh--quite a heavy load on any appliance if multiplied 2x365. However, a microwave shrugs off this amount of usage, plus is able to cook more food without easily wearing out.

Yes, I do know about the original post, and you may kindly read my first line.

I wrote of my experiences hoping that they might suggest to others thinking to buy investment  an expensive rice cooker when they already had a perfectly serviceable one sitting in their kitchen.

You of course need not bother.

However some others not quite so wise or knowledgeable in the ways of rice [many Americans new to rice cookery still remain a bit apprehensive of this grain]  who also might read this thread might benefit and save money on the more expensive types of rice cookers. It is for them that this is written, including the quantum of use that a microwave will endure perhaps more easily than the smaller sizes of rice cookers.

I'm curious how long it takes to cook rice in a microwave. I ask this question because it takes about 20 minutes to fully turn beta starch in rice into alpha starch. I know of a microwave method, but I haven't tried it.

this thread.

Andisenji, in the other thread, you mentioned that you cook vegetables and potatoes in your Zo. Can you tell me how you do that? I recently acquired a 10 cup Zo IH rice cooker, and I'm interested in learning more ways to use it. It really does make great rice (much better than my old, one-button model) and I'm amazed at how well the keep warm function works.

It works just like any steamer but it takes a bit of experimentation. For two cups of baby potatoes, that cook more rapidly I put about half an inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Same for cauliflower and broccoli florets and baby carrots.

A greater volume requires more water and the same with larger new potatoes.

This might help: cooking things other than in the rice cooker

Once you try it, you will be able to estimate the amounts - make a note of what works, for next time.

I also recommend Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann's rice cooker cookbook. I found it very helpful.

I forgot to mention in my post on the other thread that some grains, such as farro, barley and hard red wheat, have to be soaked before they are included in a medley of grains.

I use one of these small round cake racks in the bottom when cooking larger potatoes - also works with artichokes - I can fit four of the very large ones, five of the smaller in the pan and this will hold them off the bottom.

I have also been experimenting with cooking steamed puddings in it. I can fit a medium pudding bowl -

English ironstone, in the rice cooker - it also sets on the rack.

recipe and method here.

and I came across this article about bread in the rice cooker and plan on trying it soon

bread in rice cooker recipe and method

this thread.

It works just like any steamer but it takes a bit of experimentation. For two cups of baby potatoes, that cook more rapidly I put about half an inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Same for cauliflower and broccoli florets and baby carrots.

A greater volume requires more water and the same with larger new potatoes.

This might help: cooking things other than in the rice cooker

Once you try it, you will be able to estimate the amounts - make a note of what works, for next time.

I also recommend Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann's rice cooker cookbook. I found it very helpful.

I forgot to mention in my post on the other thread that some grains, such as farro, barley and hard red wheat, have to be soaked before they are included in a medley of grains.

I use one of these small round cake racks in the bottom when cooking larger potatoes - also works with artichokes - I can fit four of the very large ones, five of the smaller in the pan and this will hold them off the bottom.

I have also been experimenting with cooking steamed puddings in it. I can fit a medium pudding bowl -

English ironstone, in the rice cooker - it also sets on the rack.

recipe and method here.

and I came across this article about bread in the rice cooker and plan on trying it soon

bread in rice cooker recipe and method

Cooking rice in the microwave is okay in a pinch, however I prefer the flavor that develops in rice that is cooked and held at the ideal temperature for long periods.

I prepared a batch of Louisiana wild pecan rice today and served it with dinner this evening and my guest commented on the flavor.

I have cooked this variety of rice on the stovetop and in the microwave and the flavor is simply not the same.

I have had people tell me that rice "really has no flavor" except for what goes on it, but I don't believe this. I know what I like but everyone has to suit themselves. If one is happy with a particular way of cooking, that is personal preference.

Incidentally, the price of the IH cooker from the vendor I recommended on the other thread is, I think, fairly reasonable at $185.00. Ebay item # 110173871268.

Cooking rice in the microwave is okay in a pinch, however I prefer the flavor that develops in rice that is cooked and held at the ideal temperature for long periods. 

.... I know what I like but everyone has to suit themselves.  If one is happy with a particular way of cooking, that is personal preference. 

I generally agree with your vast culinary store of culinary knowlege and experience, and here I shall agree with your argument that when it comes to taste, personal preference rules.

However, I would also like to emphasize almost the pan-Indian dislike, extreme dislike, for the flavor that rice develops when cooked and held at warm-hot temperatures such as that created in rice cookers. As also the texture that arises from this holding period, as opposed to the method I describe below

The method liked best is washed riced placed in excess of boiling water, cooked to desired texture, drained, placed back on heat briefly and served steaming hot.

I have grown rice, many, many varieties spanning 4-5 breeding groups for over 44 years and am profoundly intimate with each aspect of its genetics, growth and processing; familiar perhaps with a greater range of varieties, cooking methods, combinations of foods, tastes and other minutiae associated with rice than many cooks in the US.

Rices commonly sold available in the US span only the japonica, indica, aromatic, and mixed parentage breeding groups [excluding the African rices].

But as you said, taste is personal and none has a monopoly on knowledge.

My point, exactly.

It would be a terribly dull world, culinarily speaking, if we were unable to choose the type of foods we eat and the way they are prepared. What works for one culture may be anathema to another.

A few months ago, my reading group got into a similar discussion as the book we were reading included a description of a meal that featured a rice dish.

Out of the eleven people attending that day, three did not care for rice at all, in any form. I mentioned my preferences, two people said they they loved the steamed rice served in Chinese restaurants and had never been able to duplicate it at home. The single man in the group stated that he only liked brown rice cooked in a vegan vegetable broth and he had no idea how his partner prepared it.

The remaining four (all seniors, like me) stated that they liked any kind of rice, fixed any old way, including Minute Rice, Rice-A-Roni, Boil-in-Bag rice and the Uncle Ben's Microwaveable "flavored" rices which they had just discovered.

I like to buy "local" rices, that is, varieties developed and grown in California. Particularly since the Rice Commission act of 2000 established a tight control on "engineered or biotech" rice production. However vast the areas of rice production in the state, it is still second to Arkansas in total rice production.

I love Wehani which, in my opinion, has incredible flavor. I also support Native American companies that market wild rice - not a true rice at all, but a worthy contender.

I strongly believe that people should support local growers and biodiversity by buying the native crops of their regions, in fact, I believe it is imperitive for the society as a whole to survive.

Now clilmbing down off my soapbox. :blink::huh:

Oh no, the words "soapbox", "rice cultivation" , "biodiversity", "preservation of local races" and bioengineering got me on my soapbox on my favorite subject, Rice genetics and yield physiology!

Just today, received an email from a young rice researcher from India to our university:

"My advisor ..... is a stalwart in aromatic rices in india in colloboration with IRRI and he is currently working on the preservation and characterization of aromatic rices in this region (tarai region). I think you are refferring to those tiny aromatic rices ....we have over 100 accessions of these quality rices.

These rices have been classified as aromatic rices but not basmati because the term basmati qualifies several specific parameters.

These Kalanamak rices have some peculiar characteristics like high salt toelrance, low nitrogen reponsiveness (30-35 kg/ha) and therefore low yield.

I am also working on these lines in the area of manupulating nitrogen use efficiency by a unique class of plant specific transcription factors. the area in which I' m working is fantastic ...i have every facility and funds here but the only thing i miss is a never tiring far sighted enthusiastic group. Please send me the reference you have mentioned."

In order to keep this biodiversity viable, these rices must become economically viable. They need to return economic yields. Moerover, if you have read his words, salt tolerance, certain biotic and abiotic stresses like deepwater growth, flash-flood tolerance, certain endemic disease tolence etc. can only be maintained on site.

That is, these tolernces can remain only when these rices are actively cultivated by farmers over large enough areas in the problem zones so that natural selection remains strong and active. Such rices cannot be effectively stored in gene banks. From 55,000 landraces and cultivars collected from India alone we have managed to isolate very important breeding genes from as few as 1 or 4 parents! And this was of worldwide importance! From a single plantain variety from Bengal came the gene that helped eleiminate an enormous problem for a huge swath of Africa.

Coming back to genetic "engineering" these terms are mischievous and risible.

Many of these rices, outside their core areas, in order to remain economic, need to be bred in particular ways within a time period. For example, right now, scientists have have extracted a gene that senses shade and spectral quality of light in a particular manner. It comes from a small family of such genes and is widespread in higher plants.

Just because it is technically convenient and doable by present means, that gene from Arabidopsis, a model plant is more easily extracted and available for insertion into other crop species, including rice.

When lanky Basmati rices are transformed with this Arabidopsis Phytochrome A gene, it tends to grow a bit shorter and not collapse, leading to higher yields.

(That makes basmati economically viable. it will make these other aromatic rices which beats basmati hands down,the ability to yield well. They now cannot, if with only 30kg of Nitrogen per hectare they keel over and lie flat.)

What has happened? Has this transformed basmati turned leprous? Will it kill? You can eat Arabidopsis without harm. Why can you not eat this rice?

There ARE potentially VERY harmful biotechnologies. Even more harmful are the malafide uses to which perverted organizations might/will put them to. But that is what Enron essentially did: hey, let us cheat our shareholders, and major banks said, we'll help you in your scheme. How can you guard against this?

The point in being modern, educated human beings is to become sufficiently well-informed to be able to make judgments as to which to condemn and which to embrace.

This wholesale dewy-eyed romanticism that has overtaken a country that is built upon technology and technical excellence is dangerous, to say the least.

OK, off my soapbox.

I am very sorry. My post was not intended as a comment on the socio/political/economic principles of biodiversity.

All I intended to point out was the flavors of the rices that are being grown and sold by producers that are growing varieties that grow well in the cooler areas of the Sacramento delta. Lundberg Family Farms is one of my California favorites (and completely organic before it became fashionable). Carolina Gold, grown in the Carolinas, the Louisiana rices and the Texas rices all have unique flavors without genetic manipulation.

I have cooked all of these rices in an IH cooker and find that they do exceptionally well. It is particularly suited to brown rices and the rice "medleys" such as Lundberg's "Jubilee" blend "of Wehani®, Black Japonica™, short and medium grain red rice, short and long grain brown rice and sweet brown rice."

The original poster asked about the advisability of purchasing an IH cooker to replace a damaged rice cooker and I have only tried to give my experiences with the ZO.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input :)

While I got desperate at times to just buy a neurofuzzy type rice cooker for the $150-$200 ballpark range since eating microwaved rice wasn't that great, my parents thought it was stupid for me to pay so much for a non-IH rice cooker and decided to send me a rice cooker, instead of the yearly gift package they usually send (they wanted my ps2 and DDR pad so it ended up being a fair trade across seas). I ended up choosing a pressure-IH rice cooker (not sure if it's going to make a difference) from Hitachi. As a joke, my folks suggested getting the one with the hand crafted iron bowl in it...but $500? phew no thanks :P

With shipping, it ends up being about $170 or so which isn't too shabby for stateside where a standard IH runs about $300 post-tax. Part of the lower price is because it's last year's model on closeout too :)

It should be here in a week or 2 (depending on how busy my folks are as they just moved to Shizuoka). I'll write back if I notice a significant difference over an IH cooker, which a friend of mine just bought ;)

Once again, ty for all the input. Only a few more weeks of laborious rice cooking :D

Have fun with your new rice cooker!

When my last rice cooker sadly passed away, I bought a Zojirushi "pressure" NP-HT18 (different model numbers overseas) and have been very pleased with it.

The inner lid is supposed to be removed and cleaned every time, but the lid/vent area stays cleaner than any other rice cooker I've owned.

Love the double timer for the same reason Kristin mentions - no need to reset the timer for morning/evening settings.

I was surprised to find that I can cook small amounts of rice more easily than I used to be able to in my big rice cooker.

As for size, a big rice cooker is an advantage not only for high-volume takikomi rice, but also for okayu, which bubbles up more when cooking and needs more space. It also fits a whole chicken in there if you want to fool it into thinking that it's a big batch of okayu!

Microwave rice cookers - I have a dinky plastic one which I use occasionally to make a single bento serving when I've got oatmeal (on the timer) in the rice cooker. It is fast...about 10 mins plus 10 mins sitting time...but for good results, you really need to soak the rice thoroughly in advance. So it has no advantages over a pot for the person who rushes in the door and suddenly thinks they want to be eating rice in 20 minutes' time. That's for Japanese rice, cooked as Japanese like to eat it, with no hardness in the center etc.

What it does do (if I take time to soak the rice) effectively is make a small amount of okayu for elderly relatives.

There are expensive ceramic microwave rice cookers around at present, but they are very bulky and I have to wonder whether they are really worth it.