• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to render a quail semi-boneless

Dave the Cook

We're planning on making John Besh's Stuffed Quail Gumbo (from his book My New Orleans, which I highly recommend).

The recipe calls for semi-boneless quail, but all I can get is quail with all the bones. Easy enough, I figure, Google is my friend. Except that the search phrase "how do you bone a quail" returns a few dozen videos -- a mixed blessing. Some are probably good; some certainly awful.

Can anyone offer some guidance -- either to a decent instructional video, or just direct advice on how to go about it?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's pretty much the same as deboning a chicken and the like.

Jacques Pépin video.....

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

In cooking school, we definitely had to bone quail. Thankfully, I never had to do it again, but also am interested in perfecting the technique.

You know why? Other than the fact that it's a pain in the ass?

Well, I can get 6 frozen whole quail for about $10 in Chinatown. Semi-boneless are about 2.5x the price, although at D'artagnan the whole quail are closer in price to the semi-boneless.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?