• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fresh stem ginger – When? And where?

ElainaA

About 5 years ago I happened to be in NYC's Chinatown at the right moment and was able to purchase some fresh stem ginger. It made wonderful preserves - friends still ask me about them. I understand stem ginger is only available for a brief time in early summer. Somehow, it seems that I have never again managed to be in an area with major Asian markets at the right time of year. I've asked in Asian markets in Syracuse, near where I live, but it seems it is never available there. I plan on a few days in NYC sometime around June. Does anyone know more specifically where and when I might track down this elusive stuff?

Also, in case I manage to locate some, what else have people made with it? All I have done are preserves and I have candied it. Both were delicious.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

My local ChinaTown has it year-round. I don't think your problem is cultivation. More like distribution. Indian (from India) cookery also starts with aromatizing the oil with garlic and ginger. I suggest you get half a kilo (approx one pound) and use half with (say) a dozen heads of garlic to aromatize (simmer for a couple of hours) maybe 2 litres (2 qts?) of canola oil .... you have a basis for very very stunning stir fries for the next year!

Also for Indian curries - they always start, "fry you onions until golden (in garlic and ginger oil) and add your chopped (plum) tomatoes" ..... whern plum tomatoes are in season and cheap I make lots of curry base and freeze it. Onions tomatoes coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sugar, salt, pepper, and cassia/cinnamon. No chilli. You have an aromatic onion/tomato base for delicate veg curries, and if you wish you can fry the base with chillies and mutton for fierce pakistani curries.

Candied, the other half kilo) is also good. Candied makes real good Gingerbread. the treacle and bread soda recipes. You gotta let the gingerbread rest a couple of weeks for the candied root ginger to kindof permeate the cake. Make it in September, eat in November!

Have you considered growing it?

That's what I do.

It's quite easy to grow if you meet it's needs (ginger likes a lot of moisture.)

It can be grown from the ginger from any grocery produce department.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Further to Heidi's post - are you asking for the really fresh just-dug-up "fresh stem ginger (A)", ones that look like this, or this, or this...or are you just looking for "fresh stem ginger (B)" that may have been harvested some time back and may look like this?

Type (A) would indeed be harder to find but surely type (B) [if satisfactory to you] must be available somewhere near you? I confess I would find it puzzling if type (B) would not be available in Syracuse (in New York State? or another Syracuse elsewhere?) in either the East Asian/Indian groceries or even in Western supermarkets (although more expensive) - say, in the Wegmans in Syracuse. (An online query shows that the Wegmans on James St in Syracuse has type (B) for $4.99/lb)

If it is the super-fresh type (A) you are after and you can't find it in your area, then when you are in NYC in June I suppose you might simply go around all the various fresh produce and grocery stores in NYC's Chinatown centered around Canal Street/Bayard/Hester & Mulberry/Mott/Elizabeth - just walk around, they'll be close together. (I am assuming you would be spending most of your time in Manhattan) Perhaps a NYC member here might know specifically which store to go to.

Hmm, it might be a bit cold in your area (assuming it is upstate NY) for ginger to be hardy in the ground...but it is easily grown in a pot which you can overwinter indoors - a search on the web will yield much info.

Hmm, it might be a bit cold in your area (assuming it is upstate NY) for ginger to be hardy in the ground...but it is easily grown in a pot which you can overwinter indoors - a search on the web will yield much info.

I'm also in NY state, unfortunately, Chemung County to be exact, I grow it as an annual, but as you pointed out it certainly could be overwintered inside given the room.

~Martin

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thanks for all the replies!

What I am looking for is literally the stems of young ginger. They are white and pink and look more like asparagus than ginger root. Young ginger root is easily available here - it's a staple in my kitchen. Stem ginger is quite different - super tender and less pungent.

Martin: I've never thought of growing ginger - odd perhaps because I am more a gardener that cooks than I am a cook that gardens. When you grow it as an annual do you use the white and pink stems? Or do you dig the roots in the fall? Or both? I have a drip tape system in my vegetable garden - would that provide enough moisture?|

Elaina

Keep an eye out for Martin's reply, since I'm certain there is a better way of doing this, but I've grown ginger as a way of salvaging pieces that began to sprout: just stuck them in a container of standard potting mix, and watered them regularly. They grew nicely (at one stage showing those shoots you describe) with no special attention, even through a dark, Scandinavian winter. Doing this the right way would probably give even better results.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Martin: I've never thought of growing ginger - odd perhaps because I am more a gardener that cooks than I am a cook that gardens. When you grow it as an annual do you use the white and pink stems? Or do you dig the roots in the fall? Or both? I have a drip tape system in my vegetable garden - would that provide enough moisture?|

I grow for the stem ginger as well as the tubers.

The drip tape should work well.

Although some insist that it's not necessary, in my experience, soaking the the tubers in warm water (85 degree F) for an hour or 2 just prior to planting seems to "wake-up" tubers and initiate prompt sprouting.

I usually grow in containers because that allows me to get a 6-8 week (or longer) headstart inside, but it's not essential.

Container grown ginger needs to be watched quite closely because the growing medium can become too dry quickly.

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Here's a website with a lot of good cultural info:

http://www.eastbranchginger.com

~Martin

Martin -

Thank you! I am going to try this. I am virtually 'next door' to you - in Cortland County so our growing season is identical. It's too late to get the head start you get. I think I'll start some in a container now and possibly some in the garden when i get it started soon,

Elaina

That's great!

Yeah, no issues with growing season where you are.

Actually, the lady who started East Branch Ginger worked at Johnny's Selected Seeds up in Maine, it all started up there.

http://www.mofga.org/Publications/MaineOrganicFarmerGardener/Winter20112012/Ginger/tabid/2055/Default.aspx

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)