• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

JBailey

"The Book of Schmaltz" - the new iPad app

Michael Ruhlman has just published and released his new iPad app The Book of Schmaltz, a Love Song to a Forgotten Fat. At present, it is only available for the iPad, but will shortly be launched for other platforms. There also maybe a print version at some time. I have downloaded Schmaltz and am glad I did so and recommend others give it a look.

I am very particular about cooking apps for my iPad and iPhone. However, when I see Michael Ruhlman's name attached whether it is a book or an app I delve deeper. Schmaltz is another of his quality efforts, not only with his writing and recipe prowness, but it is further enhanced by Donna Ruhlman's excellent photography.

In my opinon, Ruhlman has the gift to weave an interesting story, while at the same time giving confidence to go into the kitchen to try the techinque or recipe. Having always been a visual learner in cooking, Donna's extensive photography further reinforces my desire to try using the recipes in my own kitchen. This is on the same tier as Bittman's How to Cook, the CIA's The Professional Chef and the Epicurious apps, among a very few others.

This sounds right up my valley. I don't have an iPad but my iPhone doesn't find the app. Do you know where else I can find the book?

At the moment, the book is only available for the iPad. He has commented when asked via Twitter that it will eventually be available in ebook format (I.e., Kindle, Nook, etc.) it should be available soon.

I actually learned about this a couple of days ago, when running a search for something unrelated I stumbled upon a page on his website, and immediately spied the image of the upcoming Schmaltz book. Alas, no iPad, but according to Amazon, it'll be released in October of this year.

(Don't know if frying is covered in the book, but as an aside for those who have not tried FRYING with chicken fat (or other kinds of animal fats), oh boy, oh boy, consider trying it, you are in for an experience. Have made the crispiest, most delicious, decadent chicken fried steak and fried chicken with home rendered chicken fat, and of course, french fries cooked in duck fat are the ultimate fried food, so I'm told.)

• Similar Content

• By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By smeems
      Hi.  I'm brand new to this site.  I used to be on Chowhound but I see now that that site is a mess. I found this site and it looks pretty cool.  The main reason I joined is  I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant to hold my wedding in March 2018. We were hoping maybe in Brooklyn but we are open to anything interesting. There will be 55-60 people and the ceremony will also be at the restaurant. I’m thinking of a brunch/early afternoon affair, most likely on a weekend. Would love to find a funky/old school/unique/charming type of place for my sweetheart. Inexpensive please! Thank you in advance!
    • By Raamo
      HOST'S NOTE: This post and those that follow were split off from the pre-release discussion of Modernist Bread.

Figured I don't need to dump all this into the contest thread - so I'll post here.  My journey to making my first MC loaf.

Her's the poolish after >12 hours:

Not pictured - water with yeast in it below the bread flour and poolish

That went into the mixer and not long later I had a shaggy mass:

That rested for a while - then mixed until medium gluten formation - a window pane that was both opaque and translucent (no picture for that slightly messy part)

Folded and rested, folded and rested, I think this is 1/2 the mass now ready to rest one final time.

Proofed it in the oven - I have a picture of that but it's just foggy window oven

Then it went into the oven, here it is at max temp - 450 with steam turned on.

Completed loaf:

\

And the crumb - this is awesome bread:

• By gibbs
      I got my copy of Eleven Madison Park: The Next-Chapter earlier this year and have enjoyed reading through it several times. 
      As a result, I have been considering getting the version published in 2011 for Christmas, however, I am not sure if it is a duplicate of the recipe book included with the next chapter set. 
      So I am wondering if somebody has access to both if they would be able to advise me whether the recipes are duplicated between the two books.
    • By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!