• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

just me and the kids so I made up some alphabet soup!

To chicken broth I added

alphabet pasta

kidney beans

cabbage

onions

potatoes

tomatoes

corn

bacon

eaten with white bread and tub, pseudo, butter

dessert was ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tuesday dinner:

Pork chops with apples. (I brined the chops for a couple hours, and I think it made a difference. Very juicy.)

Tomato-mozzarella tart with basil/garlic crust. (I've cried wolf before, but I think this really was my last tart of the season. The tomatoes at the greenmarket this week are just not what they were a few weeks ago. Although I should add that unlike Suzanne F I was pretty happy with them all summer long.)

And I found nice red bell peppers at 75 cents a pound over the weekend, so I made pimientos out of them, and marinated them overnight in a Penelope Casas vinaigrette. Then I served them as a side dish instead of as a tapa. Delish! And so easy.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Last night:

Iri-dori: Chicken with lotus root, burdock root, carrot, konnyaku, shiitake and taro, braised in dashi soy sauce, sake and mirin.

Lamb-yakko: A piece of silken tofu topped with thin strips of lamb cooked in a sauce of tobanjan, XO sauce, minced negi, etc.

Green beans sauted in sesame oil with lemon, soy sauce and sesame.

Steamed rice.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Wednesday dinner:

Roasted chicken, done the Bittman 30-minute in the oven in a pre-heated cast-iron pan way.

Asparagus with butter-lemon sauce (I keep making this sauce because it's the only way I can get my pregnant wife to tolerate asparagus).

and leftover tomato tart.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Weds night:

grilled hokke (a type of fish, sorry have no idea of an English name, that was semi-dried) with grated daikon and soy sauce

salad of arugula and tomatoes

leftover alphabet soup

tako-wasabi -- a purchased product of octopus and wasabi stems in a wasabi sauce

Japanese rice

ice cream for dessert

i figure i might as well share here, since y'all will appreciate it....

i didn't cook last night. I went to a Gourmet Food Show.

I tasted hazelnut gelato, some bread, brie with cranberry, hunter cheese, a cheese with wasabi and green onion, one with blueberries, bleu cheese, various coldcuts, an australian chardonnay, skyy spiced, port, madeira, cognac and some blue stuff. (not curacao).

take home stuff included, 2 different pieces of chocolate cake, a chocolate croissant, and some chocolate truffle.

sometimes i love my job. not when i have to wake up in the morning tho.

Made this autumn's first batch of tomato sauce. Cleaning the cupboards out of last year's canned tomatoes. Proceeded to make baked polenta with tomato sauce and gorgonzola. Small green salad. Apple crisp for dessert.

Feels great to get the oven going during this first chilly snap of fall.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

peppered smoked mackerel cooked skin-side down on the griddle pan so the edges went crispy and some of the fat drained off (bit of a grim smell in the kitchen this morning, unfortunately)

salad of roasted beetroot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion + parsley tossed in EVOO, lemon juice and a little cumin

chocolate fondue with marshmallows + strawberries

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

tako-wasabi -- a purchased product of octopus and wasabi stems in a wasabi sauce

Sheesh...for a second there I thought it is some concoction comprising of a Taco with wasabi :biggrin:

Last night a quick pasta dinner. Linguine tossed with fresh toamtoes, basil and sauteed Halumi cheese. drizzled with some excellent evoo.

Dessert: Bride's fingers stuffed with nuts.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Foodman: check this out: Tako the Octopus :laugh::laugh:

Last night:

Broccoli/cheddar soup (to use up leftovers of cooked veg and the water, but with creme fraiche and the best supermarket Cabot cheese)

Tuna salad sandwiches (with finely chopped celery, Hellman's mayo, sweet pickle relish, and a few other unmentionables, although NO hb egg :shock: ) on onion rolls

Radicchio, endive, and romaine salad with oo and home-infused herb vinegar

Paumanok Festival Chardonnay

Ratatouille frittata smothered with 6-cheese blend. Cooked on stove, finished off in oven. Used an idea from Ina Garten and added a little flour and baking powder to the egg mix, which made it rise high in the oven and gave it a great texture.

Biscuits with the new spreadable butter from Land O' Lakes.

Much white whine. :wacko:

Breyer's mint chocolate chip for the S.O. (he did give me a few bites).

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I am feeding a friend's kids while she is at a conference in Paris for the next 8 days, so we will be enjoying lots of kid friendly foods, last night:

chicken teriyaki

buttered corn

baby leaf lettuce with smoked salmon, red onions and red peppers

more tako-wasabi (tako being the Japanese word for octopus! :biggrin: )

Japanese rice

Gratineed French onion soup, in the style of L'academie de Cuisine (veg stock instead of chix stock)

Seared salmon atop wilted baby spinach salad

Roasted bananas with rum and coconut

Gohan (Japanese rice) with fresh gomasio.

Steamed bok choy and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) with bonito shavings and shoyu.

Roasted daikon, onion, mushrooms, and chunks of lamb shoulder with sesame and chile.

Salad of oi sabagi kimchi and plum tomatoes.

Salad of won su (Chinese stem lettuce) with sliced aburage (deep-fried tofu strips) and citrus.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Turkey reubens with Jarlsberg grilled on Pepperidge Farm swirled rye/pumpernickel with lots of 1,000 Island and kraut. Yum.

It's hard to cook dinner when you don't get home until 7:00. And no, I don't have a Crockpot.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Seared thin sliced beef seasoned with Gomasio, with soy sauce, chilies, lots of ginger and garlic.

Green leaf lettuce sauteed till wilted with garlic, ginger and sesame oil.

Plain white rice.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last night Blovie cooked. We had turkey burgers - me with basil mayo, he had ketchup

I froze all food left over from Rosh Hashana. So tonight's dinner will be:

Yellow Tomato Soup (usually I serve it chilled, but tonight we'll have it warm)

Broiled Flank Steak with a mediteranean spice rub

Sweet Potato and Carrot Tsimmes with apricots and vanilla

Cranberry Smush

Sorbet

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Friday night:

linguine with red and orange peppers, red onions, tomatoes (canned) and basalmic vinegar

roasted baby kabochas

dessert:

hazelnut wafer cookies

Linguine fini, sauced with

Fresh artichoke hearts stewed in artichoke "stock" with shallot, chopped capers, Jordanian zataar, lemon juice and zest, and finished with creme fraiche and Parmesan and Romano; sprinkled with chiffonade of parsley.

"Product" (frozen deviled crab cakes).

Mixed lettuce leaves with oregano vinegar and olive oil.

Paumanok Chenin Blanc

[setting stage] Wife out with "the girls" for a birthday dinner, one of whom is about to become a 50-something, so YHS is on his own.

Shrimp and cheese grits, a la Bill Neal, accompanied by a bottle of Vina Mayor Tinto Roble (very good 2001 Spanish Cab/Merlot type IMHO). Dave Evans in the background singing (on repeat) The Last Public Hanging In West Virginia, and reading Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, on which I've been procrastinating for god-knows-how-long. Bluegrass, Bourdain, and Bill Neal. How much better could it get :rolleyes:? My only concern is how could I be this lucky? Life is good, very, very good :raz:.

THW

Edited to get grammar at least approximately correct :rolleyes: .

Edited by hwilson41 (log)

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Last night it was Lobster fra diavolo...or maybe it wasn't because in addition to the tomatoes, heavily reduced chicken stock, garlic, cream, wine, fistfull of parsley, basil and crushed red pepper...I also added a pretty good amount of Piment d'Espelette.

So what did I have? Homard Basquaise?

3 pound lobster

Delverde Spaghettini

and the above ingredients

washed down with a bottle of Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore (2000)

Gallina vecchia fa buon brodo