• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

FoodMan, your Saturday "date" dinner looks spectacular. And congrats on the little FoodChild.

Undaunted, I will continue to post.

Monday night:

Sauteed duck breast. I swear I planned to do this before I saw this thread from today. Served over greens with an oil/vinegar/duck fat vinagrette.

And turnips, braised in butter and stock, from the November Gourmet.

And I made the plum torte that Paula Wolfert somehow knew how to find. It's really a simple yellow cake with plums baked into it, but man. Seriously good stuff.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

FoodMan, your Saturday "date" dinner looks spectacular. And congrats on the little FoodChild.

Thanks Seth, he is a FoodChild alright :smile: this boy can eat like there’s no tomorrow.

Last night:

Got home late from work so I tossed some leftover homemade pasta in some doctored up –add garlic and fresh basil- jarred pasta sauce that my wife bought (Newman’s Own). It was pretty bad!! I should’ve gone with my first instinct and tossed the nice pasta with some parmesan, garlic, parsley and good evoo.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Rainy night, bad mood.

Cream of tomato soup with sourdough toast.

Roasted green beans.

It's like being ten again, except now I'm the one making it.

Boyfriend ate all this, plus leftover Chinese food (some sort of broccoli thing, some fried rice) and a full serving of zaru soba.

Seth, I somehow missed that plum cake thread. Plums will be on my grocery list soon.

Tuesday dinner, preparations interrupted by a 4:15 trip to the pediatrician :wacko: :

Sauteed pork chops

Roasted brussels sprouts with EVOO, S & P, a little balsamic

Garnet yams, cubed and roasted with a little butter

Joseph Drouhin Pouilly-Fuisse 2001

Halloween cupcakes decorated by Emma & Mommy for dessert. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Tuesday-

Gambas al Ajillo(Shrimp with garlic) :wub:

Paella Valencianna

Acorn Squash Three Ways-

Baked with cinnamon

Chilean Squash Sopaipillas with Pebre Sauce(Green Cilantro based sauce)

Sauce came out fairly sharp, even without chilies but it kind of grew on me

and other diners

The same sopaipillas with powdered sugar

A big red leaf salad

Leftover chickpea vinaigrette-y salad

A small grilled cheese sammich

Caramel sauce drizzled over honeycrisp apples for dessert

I haven't made a caramel sauce since I finished the classwork phase of my culinary education. It's a beautiful process. This particular sauce came out pretty well.

Roasted Chicken

Shredded brussel sprouts

Apples and pears tossed with cinnamon sugar and then baked

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Seared duck breast with a duck-sage-triple sec deglazing sauce and string beans in padella on the side.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Red pepper bisque with a crumble of chevre.

Fried perogies (potato and duxelle) with smoked paprika.

Boiled cabbajazz (I like cabbage much) with white onion, tossed with sauerkraut, double-smoked lardons, crushed caraway seeds, Dijon etc.

Grilled pork loin chops (bone in, much dark meat).

Mesclun salad with lime vinaigrette and shredded smoked chicken.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Grilled Flank Steak, cooked to med rare and thinly sliced

Baby Red Potatoes sauteed evoo and butter

Stir-Fried Veg Medley - zuccs, yellow squash, onion and red bells, with garden fresh basil

Hogue Merlot

Stop Family Violence

Weds dinner:

pork shumai

konbu "marinated" salmon sashimi served on a bed of finely shredded daikon and topped with minced scallions, dipped into soy sauce

shungiku (chrysanthemum leaves) gohan -- the raw leaves are drizzled with a little soy and sesame seeds then some sesame oil is heated just to smoking and then poured on top, this is then mixed with some cooked Japanese rice.

dessert:

leftover kabocha and coconut milk pudding

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

About to start prep for:

Moules mariniere (or, to mix languages, mussels marinara) using a can of Muir Glen "Fire Roasted" tomatoes)

a baguette from Balthazar Bakery

Red-and-green leaves only salad with olive oil and herb vinegar

Pinot noir, as yet unchosen from the rack. :biggrin:

Aren't mussels just the greatest???

Muir glen tomatoes rock my world.

Tonight, comfort food:

Salmon cakes

Farm market winter spinach

Farm market red skinned potatoes, roasted with lots of garlic.

Aren't mussels just the greatest???

:biggrin:

I love them.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Blovie bought some talapia. So tonight I went with an indian theme: pan-fried curred tilapia and basmati rice scented with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Muir glen tomatoes rock my world.

Are they really that good? They've always seemed... expensive. But I've never tasted them.

Wednesday:

spaghetti

with tomato, eggplant, and dried chile pepper sauce.

I used Italian tomatoes. Next time I'll try the Muir Glen.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I bought the Muir Glen just to try them (and I probably had a money-off coupon :biggrin: ). I couldn't really tell how good they were in this dish -- too much else going on. But I've got another can that I'll use more pristinely.

Tomatoes, along with corn, are the only canned veg I will ever, ever have around. Maybe because I had to eat canned peas a lot, and sometimes :angry: canned asparagus as a kid.

and sometimes  :angry:  canned asparagus as a kid.

That stuff is a conspiracy. Is it really asparagus?

Well, the white asparagus is pulled from the sinus passages of the members of the Privy Council of Europa and Iao at the Jovian solstice. But only if it's marked "Tradizionalle". Otherwise, there's no telling.