• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can't find mascarpone

pAitch

I want to make mascarpone sorbet or sherbet (a la Thomas Keller and others) but cannot find mascarpone. Is there a reasonable substitute for this application?

I've seen several variations, all including cream cheese, heavy cream and either sour cream, butter or creme fraiche.

Pretty sure these would be acceptable in a savory dish but I'm not sure about a frozen dessert.

Your experience is appreciated.

Don't know about substitutes...

Trader Joe's should carry mascarpone...hopefully there's one near you.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hi,

If you have a source of pasteurized heavy cream with NO additives or stabilizers ("manufacturer's" cream contains only cream and milk), make your own mascarpone.

Ingredients:

• 1 pint heavy cream
    1/4 tsp confectioner's sugar
    1/2 tsp tartaric acid

Directions:

• 1. Fill the bottom of a double boiler with enough water to touch the top pan, but the top should fit neatly and not "float." Bring to a simmer.
    2. Pour the cream into the top of a double boiler and place over simmering water.
    3. Add the confectioner's sugar and whisk constantly.
    4. When the cream is warm add the tartaric acid. Whisk over the heat until the cream reaches a temperature of 180 degrees.
    5. Remove from heat and allow to cool, whisking occasionally.
    6. Pour the mixture into a bowl through a thick cheesecloth, or line a fine metal strainer with a coffee filter. (See Note)
    7. Cover the bowl and refrigerator for at least 12 hours before use.

Note: You can control the texture from thick with a paper filter) to almost pourable with a metal strainer.

I want to make mascarpone sorbet or sherbet (a la Thomas Keller and others) but cannot find mascarpone. Is there a reasonable substitute for this application?

I've seen several variations, all including cream cheese, heavy cream and either sour cream, butter or creme fraiche.

Pretty sure these would be acceptable in a savory dish but I'm not sure about a frozen dessert.

Your experience is appreciated.

Where are you from? Makes it easier to zero in on a source if we know where to look :wink: !

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I finally found mascarpone at the fifth store I went to. I'm located in NW Arkansas and

there is not a Trader Joe's or WF here. Closest WF is in Tulsa.

That being said, the mascarpone (@ 48% BF) made an amazing sherbet served with a poached peach half and a garnish of fresh raspberry's and a raspberry coulis. A very satisfying finish to a great meal.

Tim, Making my own mascarpone is the only way to go, thanks for your recipe. I have tartaric acid on the way and will try both tartaric acid and lemon juice. All I am finding so far is ultra pasteurized which I doubt will result in a good product. I'm a little unclear about the butter fat content. A lot of recipes recommend ~25% BF.

Thanks to all.

I have tartaric acid on the way and will try both tartaric acid and lemon juice. All I am finding so far is ultra pasteurized which I doubt will result in a good product. I'm a little unclear about the butter fat content. A lot of recipes recommend ~25% BF.

Thanks to all.

The higher butterfat content will make a richer product. You might want to call local dairies to ask about sources for pasteurized cream with no stabilizers.

In the Midwest we get great cream from Meijer Foods and Target.

Mascarpone is made with tartaric acid, available at any brew shop. Lemon Juice or vinegar will make ricotta, somewhat different flavor profile. Good luck.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Decided making my own mascarpone was the only way to go so made a quite successful batch using organic pasturized HWC @ 40% BF. This was using lemon juice.

I'll do a second batch this weekend using a lower BF mix. I will also use tartaric acid on this one to compare the differences. I suppose I'm changing two variables.

judiu, I've not seen any dairy products at my local farmers markets but there is a dairy not too far away I can check with.

annabelle, I'd have to drive 25 miles to get to Harps but I did find mascarpone in a Holiday Island store.

But I doubt I'll ever buy mascarpone again