• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooker octopus

boudin noir

Weird, i posted this only yesterday (link). That was probably about a 3lb octopus, a 4-pounder would not take much longer to cook than 35mins. Are you planning to sear it afterwards or are you going to eat it straight from the cooker?

if you can sous vide it...that's my favorite way.

170 degrees for 5 hours.

sealed with oilve oil, garlic,bay leaf, oregano

let cool, slice, toss with shaved fennel, flat parsley, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced spring onions, salt, pepper and really good olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic to taste.

you will never have vulvanized/rubber octopus with this recipe (essentially Keller's).

Edited by Heartsurgeon (log)

I am with Heartsurgeon on this one. People who hate octopus love it when I cook it sous vide. With pressure cooker it is a fine one between tender and rubbery.

I have never tried cooking octopus in a pressure cooker, but I am aware that it is tender, then goes rubbery, then goes tender again. If you overcook the hell out of it, what happens? Does it go rubbery, or does it disintegrate?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

if you can sous vide it...that's my favorite way.

170 degrees for 5 hours.

sealed with oilve oil, garlic,bay leaf, oregano

let cool, slice, toss with shaved fennel, flat parsley, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced spring onions, salt, pepper and really good olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic to taste.

you will never have vulvanized/rubber octopus with this recipe (essentially Keller's).

Sounds great. I may have to wade into sous vide.