• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that backroom finish

I haven't made any confections for probably over a year now, and figured I had better get warmed up for the 2014 Chocolate & Confections Workshop: I sort of hoped it would be like riding a bike, so of course I didn't bother reviewing any written instructions or anything intelligent like that. It took me three tries to get the temper right (tabling), but I did finally manage to nail that. However, I overheated the colored cocoa butter, I forgot to smack the molds when casting the shells, and I let the chocolate get too cool (so the shells are too thick). Doh!

DSC_1185.jpg

Moral of the story: read over your notes before trying something you haven't done in a long time!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

Here's what happens when your cello covered bunnies/eggs are exposed to the sun.  Laser beams of light develop.  Strange that they seem to have gone for the eyes!

Just like burning ants with a magnifying glass.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/2/2012 at 11:58 AM, Kerry Beal said:

DSCN0089.jpg

The infamous Greweling Buckwheat Dog Turds! A classic.

Failure to table the ganache enough, failure to produce 25mm discs for the bottoms (these are more like 35 mm - so my ganache amounts are wrong) and failure to pipe evenly - which is pretty difficult when you are piping something this liquid.

Right at the bottom of the upslope on the learning curve!

This has actually given me an idea for a Christmas 'gift' in honor of our new dog. :D Sometimes failures are inspiration in disguise?

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

One of those ‘never again shall I .. ’ that will totally happen again - accidentally microwaving raspberry inspiration and white chocolate on high instead of 60%

3D677F93-E98D-4B50-B730-08DEF794CB4E.jpeg.37980ea4759c074d73d1318e2fab430a.jpeg

That’s blackened caramel bubbling forth from my white chocolate. Do you know how expensive the raspberry is? 😱

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

One of those ‘never again shall I .. ’ that will totally happen again - accidentally microwaving raspberry inspiration and white chocolate on high instead of 60%

3D677F93-E98D-4B50-B730-08DEF794CB4E.jpeg.37980ea4759c074d73d1318e2fab430a.jpeg

That’s blackened caramel bubbling forth from my white chocolate. Do you know how expensive the raspberry is? 😱

Ouch! 

• Like 1
  • Similar Content

• By cc.canuck
      I couldn't think of a better way to word that! 

I'm experimenting with adding a very small amount of cocoa butter decoration onto bars I'm making and am not sure whether I should heat the moulds up with a hair dryer as I would for completely bare moulds or just abandoning this step. I would avoid blowing directly onto where the cocoa butter is as much as possible. Thoughts?

• By liuzhou
      Full story here.

• By cc.canuck
      I'm relatively new to chocolate making but now that I've finally got the hang of tempering (by hand using the seeding method) I'd like to work on incorporating less air during the process.

I mainly make bars at the moment so I can tap out air bubbles after filling but I want to start making dipped biscuits and that's not going to work! I've watched oh so many videos of people stirring their chocolate while tempering and can't pick up any nuances that make their process different to mine, though they clearly have significantly less air in their mixture.

Any ideas how I could fix this problem or should I consider incorporating air bubbles into my biscuit design?
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie
    • By kannehearts
      Hi! I started tempering chocolate in December despite saying I would never temper chocolate because it looks so complicated. Now I'm whipping up chocolates for every holiday and birthday gift. I'm not the best for sure, but I've been practicing a lot and I'm feeling good about the results (usually)!

I'm trying to make a bark that is mainly white with some red feathering. I used titanium dioxide for the first time to try to get the white chocolate whiter, and everything seemed to be going well, but after a half hour, the red chocolate (dark) has set but the white is very tacky. I can't find any information on if titanium dioxide affects the tempering process. Did I blow it?