• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"New" Steak Cuts

JHeald

Recently I've seen a few articles discussing the "new" steak cuts, which are found within the beef chuck and round. As there any butchering guides available to describe how to find these steaks within the roasts?

Thanks for the help.

There are some books out there. The shop I work in has found The Art of Beef Cutting: A Meat Professional's Guide to Butchering and Merchandising pretty useful. What exactly are you looking for, you can probably find butcher how to videos online if you know the name too.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I have a few Beef Books, then I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Kitchen-Butchers-Saving-Poultr/dp/B0013AZ010/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329506155&sr=1-2

Cutting Up in the Kitchen

youll have to trust me and get it used, but i checked this out so many times from various local Libs. that i got one used for $5

i learned a lot about 'Chuck' and other tasty things.

sorry there would be no way to preview this,

its about all meat. there is a chicken neck delicacy here that Im sure is so old its not any where else!

maybe your local lib. has it?

So Pleased!

this is so old it was before there were Vids, and way before Al invented the Internet!

he as at least one newer book.

but this is Old School Butcher stuff.

What I learned in here served me very well with butchers that still carved their own meat.

at JJ&F

http://jjnfmarket.com/

i got my first Skirt Steak (inside skirt) when i was even younger than this book!

made my first Pin-wheels from it.

eventually they gave me the Ultimate Meat Complement:

You Sure do Know Your Meat! (YSDKYM)

:smile:

Edited by rotuts (log)

U'm probably behind the times but the newest US "steak" cut of which I'm aware us the flat iron, which iirc was created by Team from U of Nebraska and U of Florida about a dozen years ago under grant from industry group to create new steaks from chuck and round. Flat iron is chuck. See http://ianrnews.unl.edu/static/0205104.shtml

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

No

there are no New Cows

Just new marketing

i did the 'fat iron' 30 years ago.

it came off the shoulder

as it does now

that being said ....

once its 'marketed' it goes up in price by well 100 -- 200 % or more?

Cow is Cow

very pricey now

but its still that Cow.

sorry: 10,000 %?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I might tend to disagree.. their is/are new cow, !!

Not to many people know about the Rib-Cap steak.. "Spinalis Dorsi" of the Rib - Loin separation> The top IM of a rib-eye steak . And rolled " Rib-Cap " is one of the finest " New " creations that I have found in last few yrs. SO.. IM definition is available if you want to dissect it.

Yes gross dissection of meats happens.. But I love a nice "chuck -eye " can anyone tell me which IM..it is?

Its good to have Morels

I might tend to disagree.. their is/are new cow, !!

Not to many people know about the Rib-Cap steak.. "Spinalis Dorsi" of the Rib - Loin separation> The top IM of a rib-eye steak . And rolled " Rib-Cap " is one of the finest " New " creations that I have found in last few yrs. SO.. IM definition is available if you want to dissect it.

Yes gross dissection of meats happens.. But I love a nice "chuck -eye " can anyone tell me which IM..it is?

Are you talking about the Rib Deckle?

PS: I am a guy.

Here is an article to read!!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_9_40/ai_n16101608/

Is it new? So, maybe not. But is often over looked I have been buying the whole cap rolled up, usually about 1.5 pounds. If no one has ever tried this, I highly recommend trying it.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Rotuts..

Bryan has some mighty fine stuff!! You could call him and he can help you out. Not cheap thou.

http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/

The deal with this cap roll is, and I haven't sous vide one yet , but this thing is so marbled you need to get the internal temp to ( trust me ) 145 to get the fat up to temp. You have to be real careful searing it on a grill :blink:

That's cooked lower temps first 190-225 and then sear.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels