• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Cooking with" type webpages/blogs

BadRabbit

Since the Julie & Julia movie, I've noticed that there are quite a few websites set up similarly for other cookbooks (most better than Powell's version IMO). I've found them helpful on occasion to see if someone else's experience matches up with mine on a dish and are helpful when troubleshooting (similar to how we use the "Cooking With" threads here).

Which of these websites have you read and are there any that you recommend?

Edit: Correcting grammar

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

I do like looking for reviews of recipes online. One of the blogs I've liked is just an archive now, but Mondays with Maida is fun in that she also got feedback from coworkers/raters for the recipes. And I just like Maida Heatter :)

I've also liked the gourmet project, especially for recipes that I don't see on epicurious. I think for both, they're both nice resources for a recipe review, instead of actually "following".

Edit: Sorry I missed your post ElsieD!

Edited by cookingofjoy (log)

Could you please list some of these sites? I don't really know what you mean.

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive. I was looking for websites/blogs where people have systematically gone through a cookbook and made every recipe. Some are really good with step by step pictures and commentary. Some are just a series of short descriptions and ratings. The former is preferable but the latter can still be helpful if done well.

I've used the French Laundry one Keith listed above. It's one of the best for step by step photographs and helpful descriptions from finished products.

I've found them helpful because they are comprehensive which is where our "cooking with______" threads fall a little short. Often people gravitate to the same recipes and so you end up with 5 people talking about the same 3-4 recipes in those egullet conversations.

Also, these websites can give you an idea of whether you want to get a cookbook or not. Some cookbooks are too involved for most home cooks and only have 2-3 accessible recipes and usually aren't worth my shelf space.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)