• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vent Holes in Pot Lids

Shel_B

All of my cookware is of pretty good quality, but Toots has inexpensive cookware at her apartment. Many of her pots have lids with holes in them, or are in some way vented. The cookware that I use doesn't have these vents.

So, why does inexpensive cookwarehave vent holes and the better quality cookware not have them? Does any better qualty cookware have vent holes? Are they of any real value, or are they just a gimmick? If they are of value, why don't better quality pots and pand have them? Just curious ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Kitchens have better stoves than I do. It takes nearly fifteen minutes to boil a few pints of water.

Incidentally, I would think that a vented lid would be a disadvantage? A lot of heat is lost via evaporation, and for puny stoves like mine, a lid is a necessity.

Edited by jrshaul (log)

At high altitude at least, that little hole helps to prevent the boiling contents from blowing the lid off (I have had it happen with unvented lidded cookware). My stove ain't nothing grand, either.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Depends on the vent engineering. Some vented lids have an open/close thingie, so one can close the vents. I prefer a plain ole solid lid that I can crack as needed.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com