• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream for Panna Cotta

Shel_B

I like making panna cotta. It's easy and people love it. I've been using heavy whipping cream and gelatine, and have been thinking about using a thicker, heavier cream and maybe less gelatine. I can get manufacturer's cream, about 40% fat content, but is there something thicker that's reasonably easy to come by. I can get Devonshire cream, although it's expensive. What about double cream? I've heard of it but never seen it. Any thoughts on these creams, or other ideas? Is a really thick, heavy cream even desirable for panna cotta? Thanks!

... Shel

I have no idea if it's available in your area, but what you're talking about is called Nata (the cream of the cream) in South America. It's available here in convenient shelf-stable tetra paks, since it's used in the preparation of traditional Tres Leches desserts. I use it in truffles to push them very close to the too rich line when I've got access to Mother of Chocolate, which is very bitter.

However, I'm also with MJX - using Nata in panna cotta is going to push the dessert over into "argh, my stomach" territory.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Is a really thick, heavy cream even desirable for panna cotta?

In what context? After how many courses? How large are the portions of the previous courses? Are you also serving a cheese course beforehand? How large a portion of this panna cotta are you planning to serve?

Too much of a good thing can be a deal breaker. Or, IOW, can be a long remembered diminishing return

eGullet member #80.