• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is used to handle hot objects in a restaurant setting?

Shalmanese

Most home cooks seem to prefer oven mitts or hot pads when removing hot items from an oven but I don't think I've ever seen them in a restaurant setting. It was my impression that restaurants just use kitchen towels to handle everything. Is this correct?

PS: I am a guy.

Side towels. Dry.

Yup, we were always issued two. One wet for wiping down and one dry for hot stuff. I always managed to "find" some extra though.

I've picked up a hot pan with a wet towel more than I care to admit.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

(Front of house guy here, so forgive the terminology-failure) - in our bakery, they have these silicone-rubber half sized gloves. They look like orange pac-men with dozens of nub teeth. Not a traditional "oven mitt" but definitely a variation on the theme.

31 years in commercial kitchens and I have never used ovem mitts yet.

Dry towels, or oven pads, which are thick-ish terry cloth pads.

The main reason is speed.

You need to get one cookie tray out of the oven, I can get it out and on a cooling rack with pads or cloths loooong before you have mitts on.

Side towels. Dry.

Yup, we were always issued two. One wet for wiping down and one dry for hot stuff. I always managed to "find" some extra though.

I've picked up a hot pan with a wet towel more than I care to admit.

I couldn't have survived like that, I'm a hoarder. Currently I have around 40 hidden on and around my station.

James.