• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Removing fruit stones...

offcentre

Any advice for removing stones from stewed fruit?

We make a fair amount of chutney, jams and fruit leathers from small, foraged fruit such as damsons and sloes. Lovely, but incredibly time consuming removing stones from a stewed fruit mess. Not a particularly enjoyable task either.

Any tips, other than donning the rubber gloves and sorting by hand? Its generally too thick to move through a colander or sieve, even to push through with a wooden spoon.

thanks

I didn't remove them before cooking because it takes longer to do this than to remove afterwards! These are small stoned fruit, hundreds in the pot at once. Stones stuck firm to fruit, so I lose some of the fruit when stoning like this. Good question though ;)

I don't know what a food mill is, but a quick search and it looks like this will take the whole fruit into the mill and grind it all up, stones and all....no?

The filter only has to be as fine as the smallest thing you're filtering out so I wonder if you could use one of those coarse plastic mesh bags (like the kind they use to bundle onions or lemons) to squeeze the pulp out and leave the stones. Just load up a bag and twist to squeeze into a large pail until only the stones remain in the bag.

PS: I am a guy.

How about a food mill? If you want a chunkier texture to your finished product, you might pick through the fruit by hand until you get bored, then put the rest through the food mill.

I do that most of the time, pick through the fruit by hand. :) And food mill works good.

As it begins to get clogged, you simply reverse the turning handles...all the pits and stones will be scooped to the top of the metal plate and you can fish them out.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.