• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question About Making an Ice Cream or Sorbet Bar

Shel_B

I'd like to make a simple frozen confection - mix a fruit syrup (like blueberry, raspberry, etc.) with cream or half-and-half, in a swirl pattern. Any thoughts on how to get that result? Thanks!

... Shel

There are recipes for making ice cream or sorbet without an ice cream maker and you could use one of those. I've never done it. Then when the mixture is half-frozen, swirl in the syrup I would assume.

I'm sure my answer is far too simple for what you have in mind, but it's what I would do.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've had some experience making both ice cream, sherbet, and sorbet, but don't know how to get a good swirl effect. I thought I'd do something as you suggested, but can't help but wonder if there's a way that may be more effective.

... Shel

I've done a 'swirl' in ice cream with a knife with fruit pulps, but it wasn't for looks, just taste.

DL gives a recipe for "Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream', but his directions won't get much further than our discussion, although he does say to layer the swirl mixture as you remove the ice cream from your ice cream maker. No instructions as to the final 'swirl' technique.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...