• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rotuts

Registering "Modernist Cuisine" books?

40 posts in this topic

Ive just received my MC set. very impressive it says on a card to go to their web site and register the books.

at http://modernistcuisine.com then register there is no place for this

any ideas? is this worth pursuing? gimmick?

I received a prompt email from Judy Wilson at MC

the registration page is not up yet but might be by next week.

cheers!

I think that's a neat idea, if they utilize it to send out e-mails with corrections and other interesting links.

They could add some additional great value with instructional videos, interviews, and even links/offers to buy some modernist things. Some of those things could be interesting for those that don't own the books as well of course.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I never got a notice to register.

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Nor I.

1 person likes this

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would think it's something they added to the 2nd print run, which seems to be delivering now. Otherwise they really don't have a way to know that you got the books :biggrin:

- Thomas Keller

I got the notice, I also got the second edition.

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I'll come back and announce it here and in the "cooking with Modernist Cuisine" thread when the page is up.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Seems to be working now - registered a couple of days ago. Will be interesting to see how the MC crew use this facility to enhance the MC experience. Nice developments on the website in the last week or so already.

The answer to the last ingredient confirmed owner question is case sensitive - all lower case, unlike the entry in the book

You mast enter it with each word having it's first letter capitalised except for the third word which must be all lower case. What a palaver.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

three words? i suppose they change the "secret" at each reg.

for me it was only two (perhaps) and indeed each needed to start with a Cap.

:blink:

Edited by rotuts (log)

What I said does only implies that there are at least three words not three words alone

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I actually just went through this same process last night, and the first time I tried it, no matter what answer I entered it would come back as incorrect. Then I reloaded the page, it asked me a different question which I typed in and it worked first try, my advice is to try that with and without caps until it works because it will eventually.

I just went through the process (glad Amazon keeps track of when I ordered stuff...) and only had to answer a one word question, no caps required. Maybe they changed this? The two words with capitals etc process seems a bit silly, as does the whole process, as anyone with access to the books could register as user/owner anyway, not sure what they intend to achieve with this roundabout.

Now I'll have to see what great offers and special things come my way! :-)

- Thomas Keller

I hope this is the best forum for this:

those who own MC can and have registered for 'Updates'

today I got an email for a Thanksgiving recipe

I try to save these

but I only have one other:

SV rare Beef jus: 8/12/11

those who have registered is this the total out there?

many thanks!

I hope this is the best forum for this:

those who own MC can and have registered for 'Updates'

today I got an email for a Thanksgiving recipe

I try to save these

but I only have one other:

SV rare Beef jus: 8/12/11

those who have registered is this the total out there?

many thanks!

Hi Rotuts. We've been having some issues with our email server, so we have recently switched servers. This may be why you haven't gotten some of our other preview emails. In general, we send out each recipe a few days before we release it to the general public. Once it is released, however, you can find them archived in our recipe library. The others we've emailed out include recipes for curry, striped omelet, carrot soup, gelato, and gummy worms.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but registered owners of the 1st edition can order the 4 prints for the price of shipping and handling! Just got mine, they're beautiful (naturally) and I can't wait to get them framed and up!

I just got mine as well, sadly in a flimsy envelope and they are all damaged, but once I told them they sent out an other set, she said she found some cardboard to put around and a bubble mailer. What nice service!

No reply on my question of eventually being able to buy a revised copy of the kitchen manual though, I guess that's not gonna happen :hmmm:

- Thomas Keller

as for recipes, I've not gotten a single one in my inbox, only the message about the free photos (well, $8 or so for shipping....), am I not on the list? I did register. Guess I'll sift through my spam folder - - -

nope, nothing in there as well.

Edited by OliverB (log)

- Thomas Keller

Hi Oliver,

Yeah, sorry I haven't heard anything about kitchen manuals! As for getting the recipes, you have to check in your profile on mc.com that you wish to receive emails (we made one exception for the prints email), otherwise you won't receive any. We don't want to send them to people who'd rather not have them!

You can find the recipes archived though at http://modernistcuisine.com/cook/recipe-library.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but registered owners of the 1st edition can order the 4 prints for the price of shipping and handling! Just got mine, they're beautiful (naturally) and I can't wait to get them framed and up!

How do you access the free prints? I'm a registered 1st edition owner but all I see is the full-price links on the online store page.

No reply on my question of eventually being able to buy a revised copy of the kitchen manual though, I guess that's not gonna happen :hmmm:

It is rather disappointing considering the price we payed for the set to not be able to get an updated manual considering the amount of errata and the amount of precision needed in many of the recipes. I also see how it would be troubling to the publisher to make the kitchen manual available independently of the set. If they truly dont want to offer the books individually, I hope that one day we can at least mail in our first edition kitchen manual and have it replaced by the revised edition at cost. That way the kitchen manual never hits the open market alone, and early adopters arent left with a mistake laden tome.

Edited by Twyst (log)

Thanks Judy, I'll check my e-mail settings.

And what Twyst said :-)

I'd love to replace the manual with a "working" copy any day :-)

- Thomas Keller

Hate to bring up a necro thread but I'm trying to verify my ownership of MCaH and I cannot find anything on the MC site to help me do so.

• Similar Content

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Started in on Rob's book tonight.  Nice pictures, interesting philosophy.  The bit about grapevines reminded me ever so much about my balcony.  My grapevine has been growing ten or twenty years, planted by the birds.  Never a grape, ever.  Only recently did I learn that unlike European grapes, the native grapevines are sexual.  This one is undoubtedly a boy.  He provides lovely leaves and shade, and something for the tomatoes to hang onto.

• By Bon Appetit Cookbooks
      This topic was hijacked from the Vancouver Board.
      What cookbooks do you love to cook out of at home?
      Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite?
      Or is there a book you just can't live without?
      If you have pictures, even better! Lets see how it turns out!
      Some of my favorites to cook out of:
      The Balthazar Cookbook - The Beef Tartar is amazing! As is the Chicken Liver Mousse
      The Babbo Cookbook - The Strawberries & Peaches with Balsamic Zabaglione
      Barefoot in Paris - The Blue Cheese Souffle looks JUST LIKE THE PICTURE!
      The Bouchon Cookbook - The Roast Chicken will seriously change your life
      Gordon Ramsey Makes it Easy - The Chocolate Pots are the easiest dessert in the world and tastes so good....especially with the Amedei #7
      There are lots more. Hopefully I can take pictures and show you.
      Hopefully this post can be an ongoing thing.
      I think we are all interested in what eachother cooks!
      Happy Cooking

J
    • By Dave the Cook
      Those of us that have been following Rob Connoley's (aka gfron1) trek from home cook to down-and-literally-dirty locavore James Beard-semi-finalist chef are justifiably proud of his well-deserved transformation to a published author, which he has faithfully detailed in an earlier topic. If you're not familiar with his story, I urge you to catch up, then come back here, because we're ready to move on to the next step.

Rob's book, Acorns & Cattails: A Modern Foraging Cookbook of Forest, Farm & Field, is finally, officially available. This alone is awesome news, and you should totally order your copy today. Or . . . 

. . . we want to continue the conversation about Rob, his book and his future plans in this topic. And just to up the awesomeness, Rob is offering a free book to a randomly selected participant here.

Simply post a question or comment in this topic between now and 11:59 p.m. CST (US), 13 September 2016 and you'll be eligible to "win," based on a random drawing to be conducted, with each participant getting one chance, not including Society volunteers (and Rob himself. Multiple posts will not improve your chances, so don't get overheated.)  The winner will be announced on 14 September.

Rob will be along shortly to add his encouragement and whatever late-breaking news he has -- he's busy guy these days, so be patient -- but there's no need to wait to post questions or comments.

P.S. And if you don't win, you should still get this book.
    • By liuzhou
      A few weeks ago I bought a copy of this cookbook which is a best-selling spin off from the highly successful television series by China Central Television - A Bite of China as discussed on this thread.   .

The book was published in August 2013 and is by Chen Zhitian (陈志田 - chén zhì tián). It is only available in Chinese (so far). 

There are a number of books related to the television series but this is the only one which seems to be legitimate. It certainly has the high production standards of the television show. Beautifully photographed and with (relatively) clear details in the recipes.

Here is a sample page.

Unlike in most western cookbooks, recipes are not listed by main ingredient. They are set out in six vaguely defined chapters. So, if you are looking for a duck dish, for example, you'll have to go through the whole contents list. I've never seen an index in any Chinese book on any subject. 

In order to demonstrate the breadth of recipes in the book and perhaps to be of interest to forum members who want to know what is in a popular Chinese recipe book, I have sort of translated the contents list - 187 recipes.

This is always problematic. Very often Chinese dishes are very cryptically named. This list contains some literal translations. For some dishes I have totally ignored the given name and given a brief description instead. Any Chinese in the list refers to place names. Some dishes I have left with literal translations of their cryptic names, just for amusement value.

I am not happy with some of the "translations" and will work on improving them. I am also certain there are errors in there, too.

Back in 2008, the Chinese government issued a list of official dish translations for the Beijing Olympics. It is full of weird translations and total errors, too. Interestingly, few of the dishes in the book are on that list.

Anyway, for what it is worth, the book's content list is here (Word document) or here (PDF file). If anyone is interested in more information on a dish, please ask. For copyright reasons, I can't reproduce the dishes here exactly, but can certainly describe them.

Another problem is that many Chinese recipes are vague in the extreme. I'm not one to slavishly follow instructions, but saying "enough meat" in a recipe is not very helpful. This book gives details (by weight) for the main ingredients, but goes vague on most  condiments.

For example, the first dish (Dezhou Braised Chicken), calls for precisely 1500g of chicken, 50g dried mushroom, 20g sliced ginger and 10g of scallion. It then lists cassia bark, caoguo, unspecified herbs, Chinese cardamom, fennel seed, star anise, salt, sodium bicarbonate and cooking wine without suggesting any quantities. It then goes back to ask for 35g of maltose syrup, a soupçon of cloves, and "the correct quantity" of soy sauce.

Cooking instructions can be equally vague. "Cook until cooked".

A Bite of China - 舌尖上的中国- ISBN 978-7-5113-3940-9 
    • By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.