• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small batch frying

heidih

In an attempt to use all of my summer vegetable bounty I have been frying zucchini flowers, oregano flowers, sage leaves, and very young summer squash. I do a larger batch on occasion to share with the neighbors or some friends, but usually it is just a lovely personal indulgence. My crop yield on any given day is really "personal sized".

My question is how do you folks fry in such situations? I have been shallow frying (in olive oil) - less than half an inch of oil. This still wastes lots of oil and the spatter is a bit of a mess with the moisture laden vegetables. I also wonder if the small amount of oil is producing a greasier result. The flavor is good, the crispiness could use some amping. I would enjoy hearing about your methods.

I want to have a system that makes this something I can do spontaneously for as few as 5 items. I currently line the stove top with foil, set out brown paper bags on it for the initial draining. The clean up has not been horrid, but better more clever minds surely have some tricks.

I have been using the larger heavy bottomed pot in this post. I wonder if the sides are too high for shallow frying- perhaps creating a moisture trap?

I have never used those spatter screens because there is not dishwasher and I fear they would be a mess to deal with. Thoughts on those?

No dishwasher here either. I like spatter screens. They do get gunky after a while but I guess you could run them in the oven's self-cleaning cycle if you care about that (and if they're all metal).

Are you using batter, flour? Cornstarch gets very crisp and brown quickly, good for calamari and such, not so much for chicken.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

OK. Basically I am much lazier than you, Heidi. I would simply coat all the vegetables and flowers lightly with olive oil and whatever seasonings you might want, if any, and roast them in the oven in large aluminum cheapo pans if you have a great lot.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No dishwasher here either. I like spatter screens. They do get gunky after a while but I guess you could run them in the oven's self-cleaning cycle if you care about that (and if they're all metal).

Are you using batter, flour? Cornstarch gets very crisp and brown quickly, good for calamari and such, not so much for chicken.

So you just rinse the spatter screen in soapy water and don't get all hyper about the cleaning? I am not a cleaning fanatic by any means.

I am using a light slurry mix of cornstarch and a bit of cornmeal for texture. I prefer rice flour, but have not made it to the Asian market recently.

I just have a fryer in the shed, cheap thing, let's me fry anything I want whenever I want and I just leave the oil in until it's to dirty to reuse, about 10 batches of whatever I'm frying.

Though I suppose you could also use a pan and just strain out the oil in a container and reuse that.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

I have been using the larger heavy bottomed pot in this post. I wonder if the sides are too high for shallow frying- perhaps creating a moisture trap?

I have never used those spatter screens because there is not dishwasher and I fear they would be a mess to deal with. Thoughts on those?

Moisture will not be a problem.

Get a stainless stell splatter screen. You can clean them with "Easy-Off".

dcarch

I also use my wok for small batch frying. It doesn't take too much oil and the shape is very conducive to frying. Depending on what I am frying I often save the oil too. Cool, strain and store in an empty bottle (I keep one around for such an occasion). I use it a few times and then recycle it. I tend to use neutral frying oils capable of withstanding high heat, I don't think olive oil would hold up as well.

That said it still splatters a bit. I have been eying those splatter screens for a while now, but I would guess they mitigate the problem rather than solve it.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I just have a fryer in the shed, cheap thing, let's me fry anything I want whenever I want and I just leave the oil in until it's to dirty to reuse, about 10 batches of whatever I'm frying.

Though I suppose you could also use a pan and just strain out the oil in a container and reuse that.

I googled those little $25 "fry daddy" electric things. I only have one outside electrical outlet by the front door- but extension cords are cheap. That would eliminate any spatter and smell issues and seems like it would facilitate spontaneous frying. Do you filter the oil before storage? I noticed that the smallest call for 4 cups of oil. Store in a cool room temperature spot? What type of oil do you generally use?

I googled those little $25 "fry daddy" electric things. I only have one outside electrical outlet by the front door- but extension cords are cheap. That would eliminate any spatter and smell issues and seems like it would facilitate spontaneous frying. Do you filter the oil before storage? I noticed that the smallest call for 4 cups of oil. Store in a cool room temperature spot? What type of oil do you generally use?

Only thing you need to look for is that you can take it all apart, so you can clean everything, I run the oil through a fine steel mesh sieve if there is anything in the oil after frying. and then I just store the oil in the fryer itself, I don't need to move it and it has a lid, so that works out fine.

For oil I just buy the large cheap jugs of frying oil in the store, mine asks for about 2.5L so filling it up with olive oil (even cheap ones) could become quite expensive. Though I have heard of people frying in duck fat, which sounds great, but again, expensive.

I have something like this model, I personally like the shape of these, they fit in any nook or cranny you can find.

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

I have a nice deep stainless steel saucepan that I use for small-batch deep frying; I use it with a spatter screen (love those!) and it works wonderfully.

I clean my screen by scrubbing it gently with a brush and a bit of soap then rinsing really well. Very easy.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

So you just rinse the spatter screen in soapy water and don't get all hyper about the cleaning? I am not a cleaning fanatic by any means.

I am using a light slurry mix of cornstarch and a bit of cornmeal for texture. I prefer rice flour, but have not made it to the Asian market recently.

Soak in soapy water, light scrub with a nylon pad sort of deal. The one that fits over my big skillet is a mess - it actually has a tear and some rust spots on it, but it was hard to find one this size and kind of expensive for what it is, so I haven't replaced it.

I don't know enough about making things crispy to offer a surefire solution to the issue. Maybe use a different fat or increase the temperature a bit?

I love using my skillets whenever I can and wouldn't trade them for any kind of electric fryer but that's just my personal preference.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I fry outside in a cast iron pot, because of the thermal properties. Outside, because of the olfactory properties and ease of clean up.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Ya I like rice bran for frying or for everyday cooking as well. A deep pot with fry basket (6$ at surfas) half sheet pan and a rack. Strain, cool and save your oil when you're done. If you store it in a cool dark place you can re-use it.