• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SoHa restaurants (and food shops)

Fat Guy

South-Central Harlem (now being called SoHa by realtors and reporters) has been defined various ways, but all definitions put my address right in the middle of it. Let's call it the area of Harlem bordered by 110th Street (Central Park North) on the south and 123rd Street on the north, Frederick Douglass Boulevard (that's the avenue that would be Central Park West if the park continued north of 110th Street, which corresponds to Eighth Avenue on the Midtown street grid) on the west and Lenox Avenue (which would be Sixth Avenue below the park) on the east.

At the moment the major hub of development from a food standpoint seems to be Frederick Douglass from about 112th to 118th. It feels like every time I walk over there a new restaurant or shop has opened.

I'm just beginning to explore the neighborhood (we moved here in April) and will report back as I hit various places. But I was wondering: does anyone have any guidance for me here?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 weeks later...

hey,

as a columbian, I get into that neighborhood quite a bit. I would expand your E/W range to include up to Morningside Avenue on the West. Some hot spots over there are Bier International and 5 & Diamond, as well as Lee Lee's Baked Goods, Amy Ruth's, Melba's, Africa Kine, and Patisserie Des Ambassades.

5 & Diamond, Bier, et al. are on or near Frederick Douglass, not Morningside/Manhattan, aren't they?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yep, 5 & diamond, bier international, and questans are all on Frederick Douglass. It sounds like 5 & Diamond had a lot of trouble pinning down a chef/menu, and I'm not sure what the current state is there.

Have you tried Red Rooster? It's a little further north on lenox, and supposed to be worth a visit. I'm in manhattan valley, and have been far too lazy about exploring what new stuff harlem has to offer... I'm looking forward to hearing about peoples experiences.

I got drinks at the speakeasy-styled place across from bier international a while back... the cocktails were just ok, I wasn't moved the way I am at a place like death & co. They were out of the infused tequila that was supposed to be in my first drink, and forgot the herbsaint in the sazerac my friend got (though the bartender did realize and come back to replace it).