• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Shopping

liuzhou

This morning,  I found these in my local supermarket.

mushrooms.thumb.jpg.299d8fe0c5cccc86118db3130e0f2588.jpg

I have no idea what they are. The supermarket displayed its usual generosity of information by labelling them as 小黄瓜 {xiǎo huáng guā) which means baby cucumbers. Methinks not!

Rather idiotically, I accosted the nearest staff member to enquire as to their identity. After she got over her shock at being confronted by some crazy old foreigner daring to address her in her own language, she altruistically mumbled "蘑菇" (mó gū) - i.e. mushrooms.

I advised that she was clearly wrong as they were definitely baby cucumbers as indicated on the label.

She then informed me that every time they don't know what something is, the use the baby cucumber labels.

Anyway,  I bought them out of sheer pity for this poor woman. I'll have them for breakfast in the morning. If I survive I'll let you know.

P.S. Google image search identified them immediately. As Lincolnshire sausages.

• Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

P.S. Google image search identified them immediately. As Lincolnshire sausages.

That is obviously the work of the Lincoln Imp. I should know. I spent a lot of my very early childhood in Lincolnshire. Click.  

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, TicTac said:

Looks like a shroom from the Boletus family, though hard to tell without seeing the gills.

That was  my first thought, but if they are, I'd like to know which type. They aren't all edible.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That was  my first thought, but if they are, I'd like to know which type. They aren't all edible.

To further investigate, you would need to do a spore print.

If you are not familiar with how - take a white piece of paper and leave the cap of the mushroom  sitting on the paper overnight, remove the next day and ta-da - then the research actually begins!

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

To further investigate, you would need to do a spore print.

If you are not familiar with how - take a white piece of paper and leave the cap of the mushroom  sitting on the paper overnight, remove the next day and ta-da - then the research actually begins!

Yes. I know. It is some kind of boletus but a minor one. I just ate them as documented on the Dinner topic.

and I am sure they were fantastic...

Nice color you got on them (critical, imo, in most mushroom preps).

I adore mushrooms, and love foraging for them almost as much as I enjoy eating them.  Elm Oyster season begins soon - with some rain in the forecast today and cooler temps, I will soon be in adult-scavenger hunt dream land!

• Like 2