• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup Without Cocoa

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

Id like to make or buy a chocolate syrup NOT made from cocoa.

I absolutely despise Hersheys Syrup cause it settles, and I can feel the granules.

And it not rich. :biggrin:

Are there any syrups that are made with a high end melted chocolate?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Homemade chocolate syrup is literally a staple at our house... we blend it with 2% Fage for my daughter & wife's favorite weekday breakfast, among many other applications.. and it is the simplest thing in the world

1 cup 70% chocolate chips

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup + tbsp water

Blend in a sauce pan, bring to a boil over medium hot, turn heat down to low... stir vigorously for 15 seconds, let it simmer for 10 minutes... cool down & refrigerate it will remain pourable. If it is too thick go with 3/4 cup of water next time or pour in some vanilla extract to thin it down to your heart desire... experiment to your liking.

An alternative way to accomplish the same... nuke the chocolate until it has melted, slow pour in 1/2 cup simple syrup while stirring voila.

Chocolate shell type syrup recipes usually thin melted chocolate with oil.

This recipe has a ganache glaze that you could experiment with to thin into a syrup: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/double-chocolate-bundt-cake-with-ganache-glaze

3 oz chocolate

1/3 c cream

1/2 tbsp corn syrup

1/2 tbsp unsalt butter

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali