• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: PopsicleToze (2011) - Honeysuckles and Huckleberries... F

I buy my andouille at Jacob's in LaPlace. Until further notice, that's where I'll still buy it. However, I'll still stop off at Lloyd's place and buy his sausage, bacon, and things. He really does do a great job, but that is not andouille.

So what is? Are we gonna get a chance to see Jacob's stuff? :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I buy my andouille at Jacob's in LaPlace. Until further notice, that's where I'll still buy it. However, I'll still stop off at Lloyd's place and buy his sausage, bacon, and things. He really does do a great job, but that is not andouille.

So what is? Are we gonna get a chance to see Jacob's stuff? :wink:

Here is Jacob's andouille:

Andouille.jpg

According to them: Andouille: (AWN-DOO-EE) Our signature product, is a type of smoked sausage in which choice lean pork is cubed rather than ground, seasoned with a little more salt, red pepper, black pepper and garlic, then stuffed into a larger beef casing. It is then allowed to hang in the cooler over night to cure, then it is heavily smoked over aged pecan wood for a unique tasting, fully cooked sausage. It is excellent to use for seasoning gumbos, jambalayas, beans, and many other dishes.

It's good stuff.

Rhonda

What a GREAT place!

I WANT a bit of that hogshead cheese. It looks really good.

Is that a Myrtle tree in the picture by the flowers? We went to New Roads, LA a few years ago and I loved seeing those trees.

front yard.JPG

Shelby, I think that's wisteria. Isn't it beautiful? :wub:

Rhonda

Now THIS is what I call "appointment reading"! Onion rings...head cheese.....two premiere food groups covered immediately.....perfect. Onward!

Thank you! That is such a kind thing to say. You have just officially made my day!

Thanks!

Rhonda

I'm so glad I popped in today. A great blog by one of my favorite cooks!

DARCIE!!! :wub: I am soooo glad you dropped by!!! Been missing you, and I remember reading your blog, "Baking with Bacon."

Wish you could bake with me this week. The only thing I have planned is maybe making a fig cake with the last of last year's fig preserves.

Good to know you're here!

Rhonda

Loving this blog so much. I have never forgotten my trip to New Orleans and the incredible food I had from your neck of the woods. Try to recreate it here in New Jersey but just don't have access to the incredible ingredients (sigh, andouille) that you can get there. Our local "substitutes" are just not close and I always vow I am going to start mail ordering them. You are very lucky to live there!

LLC, thank you! Jacobs mail-orders, but you can always build a smokehouse and make it yourself. :cool: I keep saying I'm going to do that, but it hasn't happened yet! :rolleyes:

Rhonda

Now, it's time to eat. :biggrin:

While you weren't looking, and after the beans were softened a little bit, I corrected the seasoning. Then, I added some hot sauce and some Worcestershire sauce. About 30 minutes before they were finished, I added sausage rounds and ham. You have to remember that we started off this pot of beans in a very good ham bone stock. These beans were cooked in that good smoked pork flavor. I don't want all of the flavor to cook out of the meat, because the meat has to be flavorful, too. Now, if you started the beans with water, then you're going to have to depend on your meat seasoning to flavor the pot, and you will have to cook the meat much longer than I did. Here the meat is more of a complement to the beans than a seasoning meat.

I had to cook some rice. I use Mahatma jasmine rice most of the time, and that's what we used today.

Start 1-1/2 cups of water with about a teaspoon of salt.

1 1-2 cups water and salt.JPG

Add 1 cup rice.

1 cup water.JPG

Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot.

bring to a boil, reduce heat, then cover.JPG

Set timer for 15 minutes.

set timer for 15 minutes.JPG

Remove from heat; set timer for 5 minutes. Do not uncover pot.

remove from heat, set timer for 5 minutes.JPG

Fluff rice with a fork.

fluff with a fork.JPG

Mound of rice waiting for beans.

mound of rice waiting for red beans.JPG

red beans and rice.JPG

Red Beans & Ricely yours,

Rhonda

Now, it's time to eat. :biggrin:

While you weren't looking, and after the beans were softened a little bit, I corrected the seasoning. Then, I added some hot sauce and some Worcestershire sauce. About 30 minutes before they were finished, I added sausage rounds and ham. You have to remember that we started off this pot of beans in a very good ham bone stock. These beans were cooked in that good smoked pork flavor. I don't want all of the flavor to cook out of the meat, because the meat has to be flavorful, too. Now, if you started the beans with water, then you're going to have to depend on your meat seasoning to flavor the pot, and you will have to cook the meat much longer than I did. Here the meat is more of a complement to the beans than a seasoning meat.

I had to cook some rice. I use Mahatma jasmine rice most of the time, and that's what we used today.

Start 1-1/2 cups of water with about a teaspoon of salt.

1 1-2 cups water and salt.JPG

Add 1 cup rice.

1 cup water.JPG

Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot.

bring to a boil, reduce heat, then cover.JPG

Set timer for 15 minutes.

set timer for 15 minutes.JPG

Remove from heat; set timer for 5 minutes. Do not uncover pot.

remove from heat, set timer for 5 minutes.JPG

Fluff rice with a fork.

fluff with a fork.JPG

Mound of rice waiting for beans.

mound of rice waiting for red beans.JPG

red beans and rice.JPG

Red Beans & Ricely yours,

Rhonda

What a beautiful presentation. *drooling*

I love the creamy flavorful liquid in the beans. That was a great simple explanation of cooking rice on the stove top. So many folks seem to hit a wall with plain cooked rice. When I first learned to cook something other than Uncle Ben's Converted I was introduced to Mahatma by a Panamanian fellow who spent time in the South and swore by it.

SWAMP PEOPLE

Now, we need to go back and finish our field trip from yesterday. We left off after I left the strawberry farm. We were in Ponchatoula -- and that is right next door to Hammond.

Are you familiar with Swamp People? It's a series on the History Channel and it documents several families of alligator hunters in South Louisiana. Click here for more info.

When it first came out, I thought, "Wow. We need that like we need a hole in the head. Just more stereotypical profiles about Louisiana." However, then I started watching it. What makes this show so special is that they're not stereotyping these people. It's the real deal; this is what these people do, and I love the series. Now, not all of us hunt alligators, and not all of us have extreme accents, but these people do, and they do it well. If you haven't watched it, the new series begins March 31st.

Why did I tell you all of that? Because one of the families lives in Hammond, Louisiana, and that's right next door. I didn't know where it was or even remember the name of it, but Hammond is a small place and I figured that I would find it. It's an alligator and turtle farm, and I wanted some turtle meat to make you some soup. It's my favorite ever!

Kliebert\

The place is called Kliebert's, and it's just off I-55. When I arrived, I met T-Mike; he's on the show. He's the son of one of the hunters. (T-Mike is short for Little Mike or Mike, Jr. In Cajun culture, they just put a T in front of the name.) Anyway, he was very nice, but I found out they don't sell turtle meat. The turtles they have are alligator snapping turtles, and they are on the endangered list. Most of the turtle soup today uses the common snapping turtle. You can tell the difference between the turtles by their shell. The common snapping turtle has a smooth shell, and the alligator snapping turtle has jagged points on it.

alligator turtle shell.JPG

common turtle shell.JPG

I was a little disappointed and but he was kind enough to take me on a little tour. The largest alligator on the farm is 19-feet. The large alligators were hatched from eggs by his grandfather. They are 54 years old this year.

T-Mike holding a baby alligator.JPG

turtle pond.JPG

see their little heads sticking out of the water.JPG

turtle sign.JPG

big alligators.JPG

Jumper is 19\

alligator feed.JPG

green growth on alligator pond.JPG

The place has a funky smell, and I asked him what they fed the alligators. T-Mike drives to Henderson (that's in Cajun Country) weekly and buys fish heads and parts for feed. So, you can just imagine fish heads and guts rotting in the ponds not far from where we were walking!

I asked T-Mike if he was familiar with Lloyd's Smokehouse. He wasn't and said that he buys his andouille at Jacob's in LaPlace (sound familiar? Lol). He asked me if it was good, and I told him that I hadn't eaten it yet, but it sure smelled good. Then I remembered that it was in the car, so I told him that I would get him a piece and be right back. I forgot the stuff was frozen, so I just broke off a link and wrapped it in a napkin and brought it to him. He was so thankful that he insisted on giving me a package of their alligator sausage! (I haven't tried it yet; I'll let you know.)

Anyway, enjoy the pictures, and T-Mike told me to tell you hello. We won't be having turtle soup this week, however, but he was a very nice guy and I'm glad I stopped by.

I love the creamy flavorful liquid in the beans. That was a great simple explanation of cooking rice on the stove top. So many folks seem to hit a wall with plain cooked rice. When I first learned to cook something other than Uncle Ben's Converted I was introduced to Mahatma by a Panamanian fellow who spent time in the South and swore by it.

Thanks, Heidi. I used Uncle Ben's rice for years, too. :hmmm:

Rhonda

Oh, Lord. Just take me now. I LOVE me some red beans and rice, and never thought about using ham stock to flavor the beans and adding the Andouille at the last minute. (I get mine at a restaurant in Little Rock where they make their own; guy used to be the chef at NOLA, pre-Katrina. Pricy. Worth it.)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dear Rhonda,

This has been a wonderful hug for me but, I'd rather have a real one. I may just have a sip of Zaya this evening to bring back memories.

You really bring Louisiana alive with your writing. Thank you for sharing. Wish you had been here last week--we had your gumbo! Tim

Rhonda--Just got home from a very long day at work sitting in front of a computer. The last thing I wanted to do was sit down in front of our computer. But Tim insisted and I am so glad I did. What a treasure you are writing. When you mentioned the other day you were working on something, I had no idea it would be so wonderful and so full of love. What a gift you are giving both your mother and more importantly your father. We will keep you close to our hearts.

Lib and Tim

Oh, Lord. Just take me now. I LOVE me some red beans and rice, and never thought about using ham stock to flavor the beans and adding the Andouille at the last minute. (I get mine at a restaurant in Little Rock where they make their own; guy used to be the chef at NOLA, pre-Katrina. Pricy. Worth it.)

Oh, Kay! I'm so glad you liked them.

Rhonda

Dear Rhonda,

This has been a wonderful hug for me but, I'd rather have a real one. I may just have a sip of Zaya this evening to bring back memories.

You really bring Louisiana alive with your writing. Thank you for sharing. Wish you had been here last week--we had your gumbo! Tim

Rhonda--Just got home from a very long day at work sitting in front of a computer. The last thing I wanted to do was sit down in front of our computer. But Tim insisted and I am so glad I did. What a treasure you are writing. When you mentioned the other day you were working on something, I had no idea it would be so wonderful and so full of love. What a gift you are giving both your mother and more importantly your father. We will keep you close to our hearts.

Lib and Tim

Awwww, and now you two have gone and done it and made tears well up in my eyes! I miss you guys, too, and am sending hugs over to you right now! You're always in my heart and mind. Hope to see you soon!

XOXO

Rhonda

TURTLE SOUP

Now, we've already established that I won't be cooking turtle soup this week, so I can scratch that off the list. You can buy turtle meat around New Orleans, but I haven't found any around here, and driving to New Orleans during this blog is out of the question. However, I can at least show it to you.

chef john folse\

New Orleans turtle soup is as unique as gumbo to the culture. If you go to Cajun Country, the turtle soup is, well, soupy with large chunks of turtle meat -- kindof like a beef stew sans the vegetables and not as thick. Don't get me wrong -- it's good stuff, and I like it. But in New Orleans, the soup is thick and is almost a stew. It is traditional to serve turtle soup with sherry at the table. When the waiter brings your dish to you, there will be a little cup of sherry that you add to the soup at the last minute. It's good stuff!

Rhonda

The last of the field trip -- fried catfish.

After we left Kliebert's, Daddy was hungry, and this place was right down the street. It has good catfish. The other food is alright, but it's not a great place. However, Daddy wanted fried catfish, and this place was convenient, so we stopped.

IMG_3509.JPG

The special of the day was catfish (who knew?) with gumbo on the side. Daddy doesn't eat too much these days, and I knew I wasn't going to like anything there too much anyway, so we just had one plate of the daily special. He ate the catfish, and I had the gumbo. Was the gumbo any good? No, not too much. It tasted like they made it with dried shrimp and then added some boiled shrimp to it when it was time to serve.

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

When I walked outside to the deck, there were a whole lot of turtles sunning, and I was able to take this picture. It's very hard to get pictures of turtles sunning because as as soon as they hear someone coming, all you can hear is PLOP PLOP PLOP and they jump in the water. However, this was taken from behind a glass window so the turtles didn't hear me.

IMG_3518.JPG

Then, when I opened the door a duck was there to greet me. :cool:

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

And that concludes the field trip!

Rhonda

[edited for typo - oops]

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

And now onto today's dessert. I tried to think of what would be a typical dessert for us when we were growing up. We didn't have dessert much; it was more of a special occasion when desserts were served. I don't eat too much dessert even now. Most of the time after dinner, a cup of coffee is served.

However, one of my favorite desserts is watermelon! I don't know if you know it or not, but it gets hot down here. :laugh::cool: Watermelon is just the thing to cool you down. It's always eaten outside sprinkled with just a little bit of salt.

watermelon.JPG

Does anyone remember Nathalie Dupree? She used to have a cooking show years ago. She messed up all of the time. Seriously -- every single episode. It was so funny. Every time she would mess up, she would say, "Well, if we lived in a perfect world," or "In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen," etc.

Well, in a perfect world, if we wanted to eat watermelon, this would be July and that watermelon would be from Washington parish. They have *the* best watermelons in the world.

This little watermelon? Ahhh -- it's alright. It's from Mexico, and it doesn't have a lot of flavor. I knew not to buy it, but I thought it would be alright. It would be an example of a traditional dessert we had, PLUS I wanted to make you watermelon rind pickles. Then, I just opened it this afternoon, and the rind is so small that it's not worth fooling with. (Scratch that off the list.)

not much of a rind.JPG

I do like canning, and both of my grandmothers canned. Mom? Not so much. Bread and Butter pickles are one of our favorites, and the one time she canned them, she peeled the cucumbers. :laugh: Anyway, I learned how to do it from my grandmother. Here is a batch of last year's bread and butter pickles.

bread and butter pickles.JPG

Also, fig preserves are big around these parts. It's not fig season right now, but I kept some pictures of some I made last season. The thing about picking figs is that you have to get up early in the morning and get to them before the bluebirds get them!

figs.JPG

wash well.JPG

cooking.JPG

cooked.JPG

Well, I had a client in Lafayette in the 1980s and used to fly back to Boston from my visits with big brown paper bags of fresh crawfish, shrimp, rattlesnake, and tortoise bought on the side of the road, so I will definitely be following this blog to learn more.

I am so glad you're here! I'm going to try and cook a few things for you. Things bought off the backside of a pick-up truck are awesome! I'll see if I can get a picture for you. They're usually there just on the weekends, but you never know...

Rhonda

You are already reminding me of those days--the turtle soup! And I must say, we don't "farms" like yours where I come from. I don't think I realized that alligators were specifically raised for food. Your photos, not just your food, are really good: the one of the clothes on the fence is wonderful, as is the face on that little girl, and the watermelon...gorgeous.