• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nailing Graham Cracker Crusts

Chris Amirault

. . . .

That is what I do. I use the bottom of my stainless measuring cups. They are perfectly flat and smooth. I still have issues with evenness.

I've had some good results with carefully pressing down the crust with a pan of the same size (or slightly smaller) as that in which you've made your crust. I do this as the last step.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I use vanilla wafers instead of graham crackers.

More butter helps hold either kind together. Not too much more or you get cold buttery waxy crust.

Baking and egg white ideas sound interesting.

Evenness- I read somewhere to get two identical pans, put crust in one, put other on top, press. On the other hand, how important is evenness, really?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I just saw the question --

I use graham crackers, sugar, melted butter, and a little cinnamon.

After pressing the crumbs down, I finish it by pressing another pie plate on top, that evens it.

Bake it for ten minutes at 350 and cool it.

Fill it (key lime) and bake 15 additional minutes.

No particularly long baking, not sure what's making it happen, but it's not loose and crumbly, it hold's it's own and has a bit of a crust to it.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 3 months later...

The rolled out crusts work because the ice water activates some of the gluten in the crumbs, which then creates structure.

My guess would be that people having issues are using salted butter which can wildly differing amounts of water in it at any given time, or are heating the butter up too much and evaporating off the water content. (or sneaking in water-free margarine) Adding a half teaspoon of water should help.