• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie day trips

Kim WB

HeleneS. inspired me to think about what I would recommend to a foodie visiting the Princeton area. How about your town?

Come on a Saturday, because there are two great Farm Markets which are at their best on a Saturday, though they are open during the week.

960 Spruce Street, Lawrenceville, abut 4 miles South from the center of town: Trenton Farmer's market. The highlights here include lots of great produce from Hopewell area farms, with fresh grown herbs, baby vegs, and cheap prices. Helpful, friendly people who love to talk about their product. The TFM also has a very strong Russina/Slovak overtone, with three stands selling meats, cheeses and lots of kielbasa. All are made on site, fresh bacons and chops, unique choices like homemade pork roll. Lots of organ meats, lots of stout older women in babushkas. There is also a wonderful Italian stall with an extensive and well priced selection of the standards, plus some interesting goat and sheep's cheeses. Plus, if you buy from them and are female, I guarantee they will call you "bella" at least twice, and most likely inquire about your marital status. When I flutter back to my husband, and brag that I've been called beautiful TWICE, he reminds me that they are most likely shopping around for a wife for a cousin who needs to solve some INS problems :unsure:

Next stop should be the Amish Market, about 2 miles North of Princeton's Town center, Palmer Square. ( Route 27 AKA Nassau Street, 1/2 mile past Carnegie Lake. on the left) More meats, cheeses, baked and pickled goods. AS these Amish are Pennsylvannia Dutch, which is really Penn Deutsch, there are a lot of German specialties. I find the baked goods to be too sweet, and the same problem with the pickled goods. ( They have every imagineable pickled food). They have wonderful bacon and meats for soup, plus poultry direct from their farms, freshly plucked capons and quail, chix, ducks.

Also a craft shop, with some pretty tacky painted chests and such. But near the craft shop is the pretzal stand, a better pretzel but same style as the Auntie Anne's in the mall. Just remember that the Amish LOVE butter, lard and sugar... and you'll be ok. WINE ALERT: 3 miles further North on Route 27, in a old strip mall, is Glendale Liquors. Worth a trip for the price conscious CA cabernet or Italian wine ( Super T's, Barollos, Amarones specifically) drinker. The rest of th e stock is pretty standard, and its a bit of a hit or miss place, but worth it.

Now, its time for lunch. A couple of options in Princeton: For ok burgers and sandwiches, but a great mini history lesson, go to the Tap Room at the Nassau Inn. Consider Triumph Brewery, the local Brepub, with pretty good food and an interesting beer selecction..stay away from Vanilla Stout, however. Ugh. Mediterrra is a good Tapas restaurant right on Palmer Square. Alchemist and Barrister has good sandwhiches, and an outdoor/heated patio that works except on the coldest days. Halo Pub for ice cream. Or, go about 1 mil south to the Princeton Shopping Center, on Harrison Street, and go to Main Street Bistro. Great soups, seasonal menu, and a nice selections of wine by the glass.

OK, its time to shop. Kitchen Capers is in Palmer Square, but if you have a well stocked, pretty, overpriced kitchen shop by you, its not worth the visit. Simon Pearce has a shop here,with marvelous glassware. Mandalay on Witherspoon Street has beautifula nd unique pottery and serving plates. Plus, plenty of Banana Republic, Gap, Chico, Ann Taylor, Coach stores in the square for a non foodie companion..and a sprinkling of small shops in between..don't miss Go for Baroque on Nassau Street, and the Village Silversmith on Witherspoon.

After the Farmer's markets, lunch, and a bit of puttering about town, head to Wegman's. It will take about 10 minutes from town, Route One South to Nassau Park.

The Disneyland of Food Stores. It will take paragraphs to describe...just go and enjoy. WINE NOTE: Skip WEgman's attached liquor store, unless you enjoy being skewered. Another 1/2 mile South on Route 1, Joe Canal's might be worth a visit, but for price only..not a distinctive or extensive selection. ( On the way to Wegman's you'll pass MarketFair mall. Big Fish is a great place for a recuperative cocktail, perhaps even an early dinner. Market Fair has Smith and Hawkens, Villerory and Bosch, Wms Sonoma, the usual suspects of upscale places)

If staying through dinner, head to Rats, at the Fairgrounds for Sculpture, a 15-20 minute ride Southeast. This is J. Seward Johnson's creation, in a wonderful setting with spectacular food. ( Reservations needed) There is also the more casual Kabul Kafe, with authentic tangines and mediterrean spiced creations. Great bar. Great bar. REALLY good bar. Try the bar.

ADD ONS: nearby destinations: For more shopping, and some great restaurants, head to Lambertville or NewHope, about 30 minutes away. Also, there are still a few gems in Trenton's Chambersburg section, for NJ's version of Little Italy.

Enjoy!

I would suggest the Paterson's Farmers Market, just off I-80. About three blocks of modernized sheds, with small stores of vegetable sellers, pickle sellers, meat, many spices, etc. Sells to the wholesale and retail trade. The sheds backed up on what was once the Erie Railroad's main line and were used to offload supplies, vegetables, etc.

Has a very ethnic feel to it. Many residents of the surrounding community are of Syrian, Armenian, Turkish, Saudi, Peruvian, Guatamalan backgrounds. Many are wearing scarves or other head coverings.

I haven't been over there in several months, but it is definitely a bring a basket and roam about kind of place. If I go over this weekend, I'll edit this post with names and specific suggestions

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I would suggest the Paterson's Farmers Market, just off I-80. About three blocks of modernized sheds, with small stores of vegetable sellers, pickle sellers, meat, many spices, etc. Sells to the wholesale and retail trade. The sheds backed up on what was once the Erie Railroad's main line and were used to offload supplies, vegetables, etc.

Has a very ethnic feel to it. Many residents of the surrounding community are of Syrian, Armenian, Turkish, Saudi, Peruvian, Guatamalan backgrounds. Many are wearing scarves or other head coverings.

I haven't been over there in several months, but it is definitely a bring a basket and roam about kind of place. If I go over this weekend, I'll edit this post with names and specific suggestions

All this is true about the Patterson Farmers Mkt., but I think it is much better to go during June thru Oct. Right now its like a supermarket with great low prices. One attraction of the market is the two butchers on Railroad Ave. (one Hallal), the fish store on Buffalo Ave (they will scale and clean but not filet) and the butcher (also on Buffalo). Also in the area on Main Ave. are many Arabic stores. My two favorites are Fattels Bakery and Nori Food Store. They both have a wide assortment of olives, pickles, pitas (baked right on the premisses), Arabic products,cheeses, bulk nuts and seeds, and desserts. Nori has eggplant stuffed with walnuts :wub: . Fattals makes pies (like a pzza) in a brick oven. The toppings include cheese, beef and Za'tar They also make falafel and scharma. and have a halal butcher that makes spicy lamb sausages. One the block there is probably a dozen Arabic eateries to stop for a snack. Also in the area (Main Ave in Clifton) is Carrados. Inexpensive produce, decent meats, good selection of bread in many styles, food products from around the world (items that you will see in gourmet shops for much more money,cheap fresh fish and deli,many cheeses and olives. This place is worth a trip by itself. Be carefull on the weekend it gets packed, but is open from 5am till 11pm, 7 days a week.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 9 months later...
HeleneS. inspired me to think about what I would recommend to a foodie visiting the Princeton area. How about your town?

!

A few months on from this thread... are there any new recommendations?

We'll be in Princeton next week, 2 nights, and staying at the Nassau Inn, we would like to have at least one very good dinner, but not drive - although we will if you tell me there is something great...

Thanks!

:biggrin:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

We had several good dinners at The Ferry House before it moved from Lambertville to Princeton. But that was quite a while ago. Perhaps there's an eGulleteer who has dined there recently and can vouch for how it is now.

The Ferry House

If you are willing to drive, I would recommend The Frog and the Peach, in New Brunswick (about 15 minutes away).

The Frog and the Peach

We had several good dinners at The Ferry House before it moved from Lambertville to Princeton.  But that was quite a while ago.  Perhaps there's an eGulleteer who has dined there recently and can vouch for how it is now.

If you are willing to drive, I would recommend The Frog and the Peach, in New Brunswick (about 15 minutes away). 

First three recommendations within a walk from the Nassau Inn are Ferry House (BYO), Mediterra, and Lahiere.

Although it's been at least a year, our experiences at the Ferry House have been variable. Although the food's been good for the most part, service has ranged from fine to lacking. Might still be worth a recommendation. Perhaps someone else with more recent experience can coment.

Went to Lahiere for Valentine's Day last year, and the staff was great in spite of the kitchen's horrid failure to keep up with the demand of the day. Still, the food was great, and we wouldn't hesitate to return in/when we could finally get jobs again.

Mediterra has been a good "all around" place for us. If you're looking for a quiet dinner, though, it might be tough on some nights, as it can get pretty noisy.

In any event, be sure to make a reservation.

As for The Frog and the Peach, I would allow at least a half hour for driving to New Brunswick from Princeton. Route 1 craffic can be sometimes be a bear.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. .

We live in Princeton and work in the food industry. Here are our suggestions:

Tasty & consistent sit down dining: Ferry House on Witherspoon; Blue Point Grill on Nassau;

Lahieres on Witherspoon

Fresh fish/quirky chefs and good sushi: Sakura Express on Witherspoon

Biased vote for the best coffee, poached eggs and grilled panini: small world coffee on Witherspoon

If you want to push out of princeton, head south on rt 95 and take last nj exit rt.29 North to Lambertville. About a 1/2 hour drive. Head for drinks at the Boat House and dinner @ Hamilton's grill room.

good luck!!! enjoy

Small World Coffee is a lovely little gem on Witherspoon Street...sandwiches, salads, coofee house type place, very comfortable and local. In his/her origianl post, M(a)ce mentioned a "biased" opinion about Small World, which is why I suspect he might work there!

Guest johnh91011

Given the original post asked about "your town" let me plug Maplewood NJ. For a small town about 10 miles west of Newark Airport it is happening as far as dining.

French: Jocelyne's and Verjus. Fabulous food at both restaurants both BYOB's

Italian: Cent'Anni's. good food and has a liquor license.(high end), Village Trattoria (great pizza, family dining)

American, Eclectic: American Fare, Celebrated Foods. Both are BYOB's and top notch food.

Pub: St James Gate. has above average pub food.(shephard's pie, fish & chips)

Caribbean: Caribbean Cuisine, Island Spice. (wonderful cheap food at both restaurants)

Mexican: Carmelita's Cafe (used to be in Hoboken)

Japanese, Asian: Waterlilies.

Coffee Desert: Village Coffee Shop, Cravings.

I have probably left out a bunch of restaurants.

And then there is South Orange (adjacent to Maplewood)

Mexican: Toro Loco (has a liquor license)

Italian: Reservoir (cash only, BYOB)

Eclectic: Cafe Arugula

Coffee, Desert, Jazz and light lunch/dinner: The Dancing Goat.