• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there any reason to buy Wusthof/Henckels anymore?

Shalmanese

It seems like every one of their functions can be performed better by a better knife these days. Are there any circumstances where owning a Wustof of Henckels knife is the right choice or are people only recommending them due to the reputation they established 20 years ago?

PS: I am a guy.

I don't know. I like mine, but then I bought them about 15-20 years ago (my how time flies). My only regret was that I didn't get a longer chef's knife. I wish mine was about 2-3 inches longer.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Henckel has rolled out their Japanese models, the Miyabi line.

Softer steel still has it's place. I didn't use my old Henckels but when removing the end of a turkey leg I used a no name stainless cleaver that smashed through the bone quite well. On visual inspection of the edge there was indeed some fold over but no chips.

I use my Henckels where I would not take my Japanese knives.

I'm not sure that fact that there are better knives means that only those knives should be recommended, particularly since you haven't defined your basis for 'better'. There is price, availability, consistency, durability (of handle and blade), product range and lots of other things to consider.

They're still making some knife shapes that aren't made by other manufacturers, and some people like the feel of a heavy German chef's knife.

The knife I use most these days is an 8" carbon steel Sabatier **** Elephant French-style chef's knife, which holds a fantastic edge, is lighter than the German style, and is pretty much outside the loop of cutlery fashion.

The knife doesn't do the job on its own. There's a person holding the knife, and the knife has to feel right in that person's hand with that person's technique, and plenty of excellent knife work has been done with traditional European knives, and it's not as if those techniques and tools have suddenly become useless, because there are other techniques and tools.

It is indeed simply personal preference.

I have had some Wusthof knives for decades and I like the way they fit my hand and they maintain an excellent edge. When I bought them they were the top of the line and recommended by a friend who was a chef.

I have some Japanese knives that I like for certain tasks but in my opinion many are simply overpriced and in side by side tests for me there is not enough difference to justify the additional cost. If a $135.00 knife works FOR ME as well as one costing $365.00, I'm not going to pay the extra.

If I want a particular size and shape and it only is available from Japan, then I will spring for it.

I've never liked Henckles, I've never handled one that felt "right" in my hand, the balance was "off" and they never felt secure in my grasp. Of course that is true for other knives. I like some of the Global knives but some do not fit my grasp well.

I have one rather expensive Japanese knife (Suisin) that I purchased a few years ago and rarely used because it has the round handle and turns in my hand if I pick it up when I have any moisture on my hand. I was using it once, after removing seeds from chiles - I was wearing gloves and the handle sort of squirted out of my grasp and shot across the counter. I don't think I've used it since then, it isn't even on my knife bar.

It all depends on what you personally like and what feels comfortable in your hand.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"They're still making some knife shapes that aren't made by other manufacturers, and some people like the feel of a heavy German chef's knife."

You are certainly correct!

Try to find a 13" 'Bone Splitter', Chef knives from 3&1/2" up to 14".

All my cutlery including steak knives is Wusthof other than the custom pieces. The range extends to oyster openers, lobster shears, fish shears and a multitude of kitchen tools as well as three versions of the 10" chef and two versions of the 12" chef. No other manufacturer makes such an extensive range.

What knife sellers don't tell you is that 1. the handle varies in size with blade at least for Wusthof. Since many of the on-line boutique sellers were started by women or cater to women they rarely have the larger sizes as well as the 'Heavy' versions for a man's hand. This is true of the entire Wusthof line. 2. The cutting ability of the hi-carbon steel used is basically the same throughout the line and its not like picking up a Bob Dozier knife or a Japanese custom Yanagi where any slip or touch of the knife is an instant cut.

I did pick up a 12" butcher knife recently from Dexter with Sani handle for breaking down large rounds of sirloin for our dog (80# Australian Labradoodle fed a raw diet). Wusthof did not have a knife that big and the Wusthof Super Slicer we were using required more wrist. First non Wusthof commercial knife I have purchased in a decade.-Dick

I love my Japanese knives, but I'm a big-handed lefty, so that excludes the majority of Japanese knives unless I want to pay premium for a left-handed single bevel. So I have my two (double-bevel) nakiris for the bulk of my prep, which involves vegetables and boned proteins, and grab my 25-year old Wusthof 10" chef's knife or cleaver for the dirty work. Now, whether there is a better alternative out there for that knife I'm not sure, but a quarter century into its use and it's still a workhorse.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

"They're still making some knife shapes that aren't made by other manufacturers, and some people like the feel of a heavy German chef's knife."

You are certainly correct!

Try to find a 13" 'Bone Splitter', Chef knives from 3&1/2" up to 14".

All my cutlery including steak knives is Wusthof other than the custom pieces. The range extends to oyster openers, lobster shears, fish shears and a multitude of kitchen tools as well as three versions of the 10" chef and two versions of the 12" chef. No other manufacturer makes such an extensive range.

What knife sellers don't tell you is that 1. the handle varies in size with blade at least for Wusthof. Since many of the on-line boutique sellers were started by women or cater to women they rarely have the larger sizes as well as the 'Heavy' versions for a man's hand. This is true of the entire Wusthof line. 2. The cutting ability of the hi-carbon steel used is basically the same throughout the line and its not like picking up a Bob Dozier knife or a Japanese custom Yanagi where any slip or touch of the knife is an instant cut.

I did pick up a 12" butcher knife recently from Dexter with Sani handle for breaking down large rounds of sirloin for our dog (80# Australian Labradoodle fed a raw diet). Wusthof did not have a knife that big and the Wusthof Super Slicer we were using required more wrist. First non Wusthof commercial knife I have purchased in a decade.-Dick

You are so right about the handle size. I have large hands for a woman - I wear a size 9 glove - and I think that is the problem I have with many Japanese knives. I like the heft of the Wusthof and I love my 14 inch chefs, which was called a "French" knife when I bought it 30-some years ago. It has been a workhorse for me and the thickness of the blade at the bolster has allowed me to hammer on it with a wooden maul to get through extra hard vegetables (celery root, just a couple of days ago). I would hesitate to do that with other knives.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Still have and use some old Henckels "Zwilling" knives, survivors of almost 30 years in commercial kitchens.

Like everyone else, it's all a matter of choice. The big fat heavy German knives seem to shine in a few applications, like cutting/peeling heavy vegetables, chicken parts fabrication, and some meat cutting applications. Since I'm only doing pastry and confectionary work now, I still use the ol' Henckels for chopping stone-hard couverture, cutting up 25 kg blocks of butter, and cutting hard items like nougat.

Think of the 12 Henckels as an Axe. Perfect for cutting down trees, pruning, and splitting wood, but not so ideal to make furniture with.

Also what David G. says. A knife is just a hunk of steel with a sharp edge, the magic is in your hands....

Even if you own a gyuto or four, keeping a regular Western-style chefs' around is a good idea, IMO. They're just sturdier and more versatile, so you can do stuff with them you just wouldn't dream of doing with a j-knife, particularly if you keep the edge relatively fat.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I recently replaced my Global. I went to two kitchenware shops and tried a lot of knives. Nothing so expensive as a MAC--my budget was nowhere near that high--but, still, almost everything in the <$200AUD price range (and a little bit over). The weight and handle shape of the Wusthoffs worked for me better than anything else I tried. Personal preference and all.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Shalmanese, I think your query touches on two areas.

There's the fashion for Japanese knives. Today the Japanese knives are very much in favor, and I think their blades do tend to be better. But I think there are still arguments for the European knives. For one thing, I prefer their blade shapes. For another thing, I prefer Western handles (though you can get a lot of Japanese knives with Western handles now). And for still another thing, I think the European knives excel under harsh conditions, whether that's a shared-knife environment or a job involving a lot of bones and such. They're also, at similar quality levels, less expensive.

There's the issue of cheaper alternatives within the European milieu, such as Forschner knives. Certainly, Forschner gives you a terrifically usable chef's knife for about $30. In some ways it feels unnecessarily extravagant to buy anything else if you're not a professional working eight hours a day with a knife. At the same time, a Forschner knife simply is not a Wusthof (or Henckels, or whatever).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love my Japanese knives, but I'm a big-handed lefty, so that excludes the majority of Japanese knives unless I want to pay premium for a left-handed single bevel.

One big-handed lefty to another -- buy "regular" Japanese knives. Then sharpen them lefty.

After a few months of use you have a single bevel -- no premium price.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

...There's the issue of cheaper alternatives within the European milieu, such as Forschner knives. Certainly, Forschner gives you a terrifically usable chef's knife for about $30. In some ways it feels unnecessarily extravagant to buy anything else if you're not a professional working eight hours a day with a knife. At the same time, a Forschner knife simply is not a Wusthof (or Henckels, or whatever).

I have to agree with the Forschner knives. I have a bunch. I use them for everything or for knives that are seldom used. I still use them where I wouldn't use or don't have a custom knife. I used to buy their pairing knives by the box. Great as steak knives also.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.