• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn syrup ingredients

Nachoforce

I am looking for corn syrup which is not made with high fructose corn syrup. I've been using Karo brand but I can only find it in a 1 gallon container. My local restaurant supply store sells LSI SPECIALTY PRODUCTS brand and CHICAGO SWEETENERS INC in a 5 gallon (60 pound) bucket, but there is no ingredients. Does anyone know if it contains HFCS? I couldn't find a website for either company or any info about either company online.

thanks

I've been using Karo brand but I can only find it in a 1 gallon container.

The ingredient list on my bottle of Karo says that it contains light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and vanilla.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When I spoke (some time ago) to people at the company that makes Karo, they told me that Karo is not really "Corn Syrup" in the same definition of say at 42DE Corn Syrup - and should not be used in the same manner (for formulations)

My understanding is LSI makes many different corn syrups with different properties. You can call them at (510)420-7100. They should be able to give you the properties of each. I would not recommend exchanging for invert sugar as a general rule.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

The Karo I am using has no HFCS, it says in a big bubble on the front label. I'm using it for making marshmallows but I was thinking of using it for hard candies and caramels too. Since it isn't really "corn syrup" can it not be used for this? I tried making chewy caramels tonight, seems to have turned out fine (fingers crossed); I am hoping it will work well for hard candies too.

Chocolot: thank you for the phone number, I will give them a call.