• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water in Boiled Eggs

Shel_B

Last evening we made a batch of deviled eggs. When we removed the cooked yolk we noticed a small amount of water in the emptied whites. It seems to have been trapped between the yolks and the whites. How can this be (the shells weren't cracked and the water was in all of the emptied whites? What causes this? How can it be prevented? We had to dry the whites by hand using a paper towel to soak up the water.

Thanks

... Shel

Old eggs?

Nope - we had 'em for only a day or so. They were purchased from a store that had a good turnover and gets eggs several times a week.

Thanks!

... Shel

Is there any chance that the eggs were accidentally frozen at some point? I suspect some sort of error on the part of a stock-clerk putting them into a walk-in freezer for a few hours instead of a walk-in cooler, or, they were on the top shelf of your fridge, and it's colder than you think....

Overcooked?

If the eggs are overcooked the proteins will squeeze out the moisture, giving you a watery layer.

Ahh ... that seems like a possibility. My GF often overcooks boiled eggs to the point that there's that green layer around the yolk. I'll look into this possibility. Thanks!

... Shel

• 3 years later...

Recently, we made a batch of deviled eggs.  When the cooked yolk was removed, we noticed a small amount of water in the emptied whites.  It appears to have been trapped between the yolks and the whites.  How can this be?  None of the shells were cracked.  What causes this?  How can it be prevented? 

This happened once before, a few years ago, and I asked about it (elsewhere) but got no response.

... Shel

The devil made that happen? :-)

The only reason I can come up with is the egg white was very cold, and the ambient air was very humid. Condensation happened.

dcarch

Hmmm ... seems like it could be a possibility, although it's never very humid here.  The hot water might contribute to the condensation, though.  I let my eggs come up to room temp before plunging them into the water, but Toots may sometimes take them directly from fridge to pot .... ?

... Shel

Recently, we made a batch of deviled eggs.  When the cooked yolk was removed, we noticed a small amount of water in the emptied whites.  It appears to have been trapped between the yolks and the whites.  How can this be?  None of the shells were cracked.  What causes this?  How can it be prevented? 

This happened once before, a few years ago, and I asked about it (elsewhere) but got no response.

There were some responses: Water in Boiled Eggs

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org