• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NancyH

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

Sorry for the late notice, but we (JAZ and Dave the Cook) won't make it to Friday lunch. We'll meet up with the group at VTR.

We are on e 9th in front of the pier around the corner from the rock hall. Lookforthe dimand den sum truck and us'nz.

Where's the best place for Kaffir Lime leaves and lemongrass?

There are several Asian markets in the area. They almost always have lemongrass. Kaffir Lime leaves are usually available frozen, and sometimes fresh. I have a small Kaffir tree and a few stalks of lemongrass in the garden, so if you don't need a lot I can just harvest some for the dinner. It's a small tree so I don't want to defoliate it. :smile:

A few kaffir lime leaves would be great - wish I had a tree - given how hot it is here right now it would probably be one of the only things thriving. Lemon grass is usually easy to find frozen (and so nice and easy to use that way) in an asian market.

With an asian market available then we will be good for a little bottle of fish sauce and palm sugar so I won't bother to bring them along.

After my last little incident at the border I'm not going to bring any plant material with me. I'm leaving the citric acid in it's container - just hope a scale and a white bottle of chemical type powder doesn't draw undo attention!

About how many lime leaves would you need? As I said, the tree is pretty small, so I can't bring a huge amount. My lemongrass is still on the small side, but I can bring that as well. I have some other herbs and some peppers (but not Thai peppers - didn't grow those this year).

Where's the best place for Kaffir Lime leaves and lemongrass?

There are several Asian markets in the area. They almost always have lemongrass. Kaffir Lime leaves are usually available frozen, and sometimes fresh. I have a small Kaffir tree and a few stalks of lemongrass in the garden, so if you don't need a lot I can just harvest some for the dinner. It's a small tree so I don't want to defoliate it. :smile:

A few kaffir lime leaves would be great - wish I had a tree - given how hot it is here right now it would probably be one of the only things thriving. Lemon grass is usually easy to find frozen (and so nice and easy to use that way) in an asian market.

With an asian market available then we will be good for a little bottle of fish sauce and palm sugar so I won't bother to bring them along.

After my last little incident at the border I'm not going to bring any plant material with me. I'm leaving the citric acid in it's container - just hope a scale and a white bottle of chemical type powder doesn't draw undo attention!

About how many lime leaves would you need? As I said, the tree is pretty small, so I can't bring a huge amount. My lemongrass is still on the small side, but I can bring that as well. I have some other herbs and some peppers (but not Thai peppers - didn't grow those this year).

Maybe half a dozen lime leaves. What ever you can spare lemon grass stalks.

Just to reiterate one thing Nancy mentioned at dinner tonight:

If you are cooking a course for tomorrow's dinner, we are going to have a planning meeting at 2pm at the Chubby Cook. You can come earlier but please do be there by 2, or have at least one member of your team there at that time. We need to schedule the service times for each course, figure out who needs what serviceware, coordinate use of any equipment that will have to serve more than one purpose, ensure that we have enough person-power, and make a shopping list for a run to the supermarket (things like frying oil, flour, etc., we will get at the supermarket not at the market markets).

I'm planning to arrive with the family at University Circle (Natural History museum) at around 10:30 this morning. Is there anyone who is going to be in that vicinity who can drive me over to the farmers' market (I think they are not far away from each other)?

I'm planning to arrive with the family at University Circle (Natural History museum) at around 10:30 this morning. Is there anyone who is going to be in that vicinity who can drive me over to the farmers' market (I think they are not far away from each other)?

I drive right through University Circle to get downtown. I can pick you up in front of the natural history museum, there's a big dinosaur out front. What time do you want to be picked up?

I think you said you were picking David up at 11:10? If so does that make 10:50 at the dinosaur logical?

I think you said you were picking David up at 11:10? If so does that make 10:50 at the dinosaur logical?

Perfect! See you then.

Great. I'll call you if there's a problem. Can we use your iPad today for expediting? Or can someone else bring one?

Great. I'll call you if there's a problem. Can we use your iPad today for expediting? Or can someone else bring one?

I was planning on bringing my iPad, so no problems.

Bob is collecting a nice load of stuff from our garden, which we'll bring - hot peppers, basil and thai basil, and Chinese flowering garlic chives. Karen is bringing assorted herbs from her garden - sage, thyme, oregano and mint. So no need to buy any of those!

What's the head count for tonight?

Total number of mouths to feed should be 35.

Total budget for food and beverages is $700.

HELP:

I'm been going over this long thread to see if breakfast is at 10:30, and couldn't find a final post... 10:30, right??

Correct. 10:30.

For those staying at the Marriott: I had no trouble calling the desk to extend checkout by an hour, to 1pm -- makes the logistics of departure much easier.

She said that was fine, but we'll have to pick up new keys at the desk.

I just wanted to post a big thank you to NancyH for all her hard work on organizing this fantastic event. Thanks for everything you did, Nancy. Though I was only able to attend part of the festivities, it looks and sounds like everyone really enjoyed it and we were able to show off how great Cleveland is to many folks.