• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Portion Sizes

Porthos

My DW and I are taking over the faire kitchen (see my blog if you're interested in that) and the guild mistress asked me to not serve canned vegetables as has been done in the past. We did, and will continue to, serve fresh carrots, mushrooms and broccoli.

I am planning on adding green beans and zucchini. I'll be feeding 40-60 people. How many oz make up one serving of green beans? How many oz for zucchini? Can you suggest other vegetables I might want to consider (that don't take too much prep work)?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Have you considered frozen veg? Don't know how it compares to fresh costwise. Usually quality is better than fresh unless you source local produce.

Frozen peas and cauliflower are good. Brocolli goes mushy, carrots are a bit rubbery.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

I usually count 3-4 oz. for a serving.

Do you have a foodservice supplier nearby? Perhaps you could purchase the carrots and zucchini pre-cut, and the broccoli in florets.

A case is often 25 lbs... just right for 60 servings :)

Karen Dar Woon