• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teaching About Italian Food and Culture

Greetings,

I teach a course on the food and culture of Italy. In addition, I and a colleague manage a study abroad program in which we take students to the Langhe in Piedmonte where they learn about international tourism and the food and culture of the region. I hope to use this forum as a way by which my students and fellow learners can learn about the food culture of Italy by interacting with you and benefiting from your collective knowledge.

Is this reasonable? For example, how would people involved with this forum react to a student who is interested in learning about carne cruda? Do you have any suggestions regarding ways by which learners can encounter Italian food traditions in this forum?

Thank you for your assistance.

Charlie Baker-Clark

Hi Charlie:

If you do a search on this board, you'll find many single-topic threads on dishes and recipes and their origins. Additionally, there are threads devoted to the cooking and cuisines of each region of Italy that several posters on this board undertook in 2006-2007.

If you don't find anything you're looking for--say, for example, a thread on carne cruda--feel free to start one and we'll be happy to share knowledge with you and your students.

It sounds like a great project and hope we can help!

Kevin