• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Chocolate Show

Truffle Guy

We were exhibitors at the New York Chocolate Show for the first time and it was a great experience. We had done 2 previous shows to prepare for the event but they just didn't have the same volumes. I went to the 2008 show as an attendee and I could tell it was not as busy this year with all the economic and health impacts. We had Halloween on Saturday night which impacted the size of the crowd and then the NY Marathon on Sunday which I'm sure had some impact as well.

We've been in business now for just a bit over 2 years and it was a great way to measure ourselves against more mature companies. I also had a chance to meet with some great chocolatiers. One of the highlights was having Norman Love come talk with me and give me positive feedback on one of our bon bon's and our overall product. It was exciting to have one of the top chocolatiers in America actually recognize me and humbling to get praise from him. I also had the chance to meet up with some other iconic american chocolatiers such as Andrew Shotts from whom I've learned so much. Donald Wressel was great to finally meet in person and a wealth of knowledge and again someone who greatly encouraged me with some kind words. I also met Tim Brown from Aroa Fine Chocolates in Boston and had a great time chatting with him for a couple days and as always....learning as much as I can.

I'd encourage anyone who is wanting to get some exposure to consider attending next year. It is expensive but well worth it to get some honest feedback on your product and where you stand in the artisan chocolate world. We had a good time with our booth next to Berkshire Bark and they were great sharing their experience over the years at the show, it really helped us prepare for each day. I'd love to hear any feedback from anyone who attended as we are always looking to improve. It's hard to believe only a few years ago I was asking what "tempering" meant and now we've come back from the the biggest show in the country....makes all the sweat and struggle worth it.

I was there on Friday.

Yes, the show was much smaller than usual and that was disappointing.

Bill, it must have been very exciting for you to be at the New York Show.

Your booth looked great, the chocolates look amazing.

Also it looked to me that you had quite a crowd of admirers.

I bought a box of 20 and some Pate de Fruit.

The chocolates taste as good as they look. The flavors come through beautifully.

I haven't picked a favorite yet, I like them all.

I am also enjoying the Pate de Fruit.

It has been so wonderful to have watched your progress on eG and to see how well you are doing.

You are an inspiration.