• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Long Will Rice Last In A Sealed Container?

beauregard

Assuming it's uncooked rice, it should last a long time. But you may find it cooks up harder than newer rice. When that happens, I compensate by adding more water than I usually use (I usually use about 1:1.1 rice:water, but with older rice I might use 1:1.25 or so).

Isn't some rice purposely aged?

I have been using a big container of rice that has been in my freezer for a couple of years - it's an organic brown rice - a friend gave me a 25-pound bag which I transferred to a plastic storage container and stuck in the freezer. It cooks up the same as it did when I first got it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett