• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Ideas for an Advanced Chocolate Course

Kerry Beal

Brian Donaghy - who provided excellent instruction at our 1st annual eG Chocolate Conference - and I have been discussing running an advanced chocolate course aimed at artisan chocolate makers who need to improve their talents and their product.

I would assume that most people would love to look at some equipment with an eye to increasing production - but beyond that what would you think that people would want to learn if they knew the basics but wanted to improve?

I guess it begs the question - what are basic chocolate techniques and what are advanced techniques? What do most people who are producing feel they are weak at and want to improve?

I guess it can be divided into at least areas:

1. Improving technical skills-

a. a good flat framed ganached with thin foot applied

b. dipping without any foot or fork marks

c. recognizing temper by eye alone

d. molding, filling, closing

e. ganache making techniques- using tempered choc, by hand or emulsified

2. Decoration

a. decorating enrobed/dipped bonbons

b. using color (hand, sprayed, interference glimmers etc

c. transfer sheets (also making transfers), textured sheets)

d. stamps or applications

This is what I thought of off the top of my head

Some thoughts based on questions that seem to come up again and again:

Shelf life - what it is, how to extend it, and how does the small artisan chocolatier manage it without expensive equipment. Included should be how to freeze product and have it come out looking fresh and tasting as if just made.

Packaging - not the decorative type but how do I get my stuff to a show safely and in good condition - there seem to be some good options out there but not in a condensed form that would serve as a good reference.

Looking at how the top level chocolatiers decorate and do the fancy packaging - so often only one or two decorated pieces in a whole box, packaging that is often subdued but sophisticated. Nobody else covers this - but it's important.

Pricing including the packaging - another important professional aspect that isn't covered well by anyone or in any text book that I know of. Again boring but important to those moving into advanced chocolate making.

So looking at chocolate and chocolate creations at a professional rather than an amateur level. Lots of good theory along with some excellent hands-on techniques for ganaches, shells, dipping, etc.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd love to do a hands-on class for the little liqueur filled chocolates. I know that you'd have to prep some centers in advance for it, though.

The starch molded ones?

In all of the reading I've done, and the few courses I've taken, I still have yet to see a good discussion of various types of fillings. Many books and courses focus on types of ganache, hand rolling vs shell molding etc. It would be interesting to discuss not just ganaches (cream vs butter, stiff vs more fluid), but also fondant based fillings, fruit centers, alcohol centers (e.g. starch molding), etc. This would go hand in hand with a discussion of flavor profiles, flavor development, and ingredient sourcing.

Of course I think there are a number of us who would also enjoy taking a whack at learning the basics of showpiece construction and design. Perhaps discussing and experimenting both with sugar (isomalt) and chocolate (and modelling chocolate).

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

equipment

- use of the enrober

- use of the vacuum mixer, and how it changes things

- use of the thermomix

- scaling challenges, if any and how equipment changes (like those youtube videos of La Maison du Chocolate

where they use gigantic things to make ganache)

- examples how different pros package, make chocolate guide sheets, custom transfer sheets, and sourcing of materials for something like this (ditto Anna). I keep the chocolate "keys" of famous places I've been, but my collection is not complete for sure.

shelf life/packaging

- freezing (ditto Anna, talked about in Shott's course)

- boxing (ditto Anna, shown in Wybauw's and Shott's course I think)

molded chocolates, different techniques

- backing

- acetate/texture sheet backing

- pretty backing in general - mine look terrible lot of the time.

- advanced airbrush/spatter/coloring/luster techniques beyond just the regular pointilism spray or stripe via brush

and I am not advanced enough at dipping to comment there.

Ganaches have more advanced topics too, but I feel that they're easier to test out by yourself at home.

Whereas, bringing out the melter, waiting overnight, cleaning up - the startup costs

are a lot higher there.

I'd love to do a hands-on class for the little liqueur filled chocolates. I know that you'd have to prep some centers in advance for it, though.

The starch molded ones?

Yes. I know that the starch procedure isn't chocolate-making, but it of interest. Plus, there seems to be disagreement on how to best seal the finished chocolates.

i agree with the theory/pricing/biz side of things mentioned here....its important to learn shelf life, and pricing of product based not only on food costs but on packaging etc...i have never frozen truffles, i would fear the shell would crack (wouldn't ganache expand if frozen?!!!) and if you defrost, what about condensation? is the shell still shiny (if molded) or perfectly smooth and matte (if dipped) is the ganache still smooth and creamy? i don't know....freezing scares me pretty bad. but even with the advanced course, it would be nice to touch on basics, ONLY for the fact that we all do things differently and it would be interesting if someone has a different technique, or more streamlined approach etc... as for equipment, yes, i agree most of us are looking to expand, and would consider machinery to make for an easier or quicker production, but, like me, some small chocolatiers are still doing things pretty much all by hand, (even tempering) and only have one or two assistants to help out, so we don't have the funds quite yet to buy a $10 or $20,000 tempering machine, melting pot, depositor, enrobing machine etc..... so i'd like to touch on that, yes, but it won't apply to most of us i don't think (unless you all have much larger budgets than me!) :0) but i'd love to learn day to day runnings of a shop or retail business, or have some kind of forum on that at the course, among all the other things mentioned too :)

I paid 450 Euro for a 2 day course in Belgium a year ago. That is around 660$ for course 2, 2 days. I would easily pay 1000$ for a good and thorough 4 day course. As you may recall, I was not satisfied with my second course. It was basically a totally mad rush of making a bunch of recipes within 2 days. No real help, improvement of my technical skills etc. Nice recipes though. We learned about shelf life a bit. I always felt that what is missing in all the available courses is a good in depth course with theory and practice and a few days is just not enough. This is not available- perhaps in Germany and Switzerland I recall there is a few weeks (at least6-8) course-expensive!

Several years ago, I took the Culinary Institute's continuing eduction class on "Artisan Chocolate and Confectionery" with Chef Greweling. It was a 4.5 day course devoted entirely to theory and practice of an amazing number of techniques. Little did I know at the time, that pretty much everything we did was to be published in Greweling's book the next spring. While this course didn't focus on the business aspects of our efforts, it did cover an amazing amount of ground. My only regret was not being able to make every product. Everyone got to make something in each category, but we split up the individual products and shared everything at the end of the week. It was a great experience.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

For me, I'd like to see

framed ganache

Dipping without foot marks

Texture sheet use

Colored cocoa butter work

I think transfer sheets are pretty straightforward, though a demo on how to make your own sheets (freehand, not with a printer) would be fun

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

So if two days is too short - you'd figure 4 days - what sort of cost would people expect to pay for 4 days?

My preference would also be for 4 days. My reasoning being that if I have to travel to a place for any sort of conference I would like to tack on a day or two of sightseeing and shopping and this way you can tack on a couple of days and make it a mini vacation. But beyond that, there is often as much to be learned from other attendees as from the course itself. In 4 days there is opportunity to do a fair bit of socializing and picking the brains of those who are more experienced. It would also perhaps allow time for a couple of round tables on subjects of special interest during course time.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So if two days is too short - you'd figure 4 days - what sort of cost would people expect to pay for 4 days?

My preference would also be for 4 days. My reasoning being that if I have to travel to a place for any sort of conference I would like to tack on a day or two of sightseeing and shopping and this way you can tack on a couple of days and make it a mini vacation. But beyond that, there is often as much to be learned from other attendees as from the course itself. In 4 days there is opportunity to do a fair bit of socializing and picking the brains of those who are more experienced. It would also perhaps allow time for a couple of round tables on subjects of special interest during course time.

My 2004 eG Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What about panning?

That could be done given the location we will be in. Have to see if it appeals to enough people. We could show the bowl technique for coating too - if you can't afford a panner. It won't give you shiny product, but coated with cocoa or confectioners sugar makes nice individual nuts.

Looks like we are stuck with 2 days - given the location we have. I'd love to be able to do the 4 days for sure - because as you say - the socializing really adds to the learning experience.

What about panning?

That could be done given the location we will be in. Have to see if it appeals to enough people. We could show the bowl technique for coating too - if you can't afford a panner. It won't give you shiny product, but coated with cocoa or confectioners sugar makes nice individual nuts.

Looks like we are stuck with 2 days - given the location we have. I'd love to be able to do the 4 days for sure - because as you say - the socializing really adds to the learning experience.

Have you focused on a date (or month)? What location?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Brian and will talk more on Thursday - I suspect we are looking at dates after the holiday - but Brian may feel differently.

We will likely be in the kitchen at Tomric in Buffalo. They've moved their kitchen from where it was when we visited in May back to it's original location, so it's a bit more crowded. That and the need to make sure of the hands on nature of the course will be limiting the number of participants.

So could be fun - Buffalo in January!

Brian and will talk more on Thursday - I suspect we are looking at dates after the holiday - but Brian may feel differently.

We will likely be in the kitchen at Tomric in Buffalo. They've moved their kitchen from where it was when we visited in May back to it's original location, so it's a bit more crowded. That and the need to make sure of the hands on nature of the course will be limiting the number of participants.

So could be fun - Buffalo in January!

And I thought it got cold here in DC from time to time!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

In all of the reading I've done, and the few courses I've taken, I still have yet to see a good discussion of various types of fillings. Many books and courses focus on types of ganache, hand rolling vs shell molding etc. It would be interesting to discuss not just ganaches (cream vs butter, stiff vs more fluid), but also fondant based fillings, fruit centers, alcohol centers (e.g. starch molding), etc. This would go hand in hand with a discussion of flavor profiles, flavor development, and ingredient sourcing.

Of course I think there are a number of us who would also enjoy taking a whack at learning the basics of showpiece construction and design. Perhaps discussing and experimenting both with sugar (isomalt) and chocolate (and modelling chocolate).

It would also be interesting to learn some basic chocolate showpiece construction.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things