• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potato Dauphine

Doodad

I have never made Dauphine, but get the process. But, can it be done with sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving or are they too heavy? I searched but have not found this done.

Thanks.

Edited by Doodad (log)

I don't see why it couldn't be done. It sounds delicious to me! The only problem I could forsee would be the amount of starch in the sweet potato. I don't know how it would compare to a regular potato and you might not have quite the same holding power. Though, I think you can add a bit of cornstarch to the cream to hold it together a bit better.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

It should work just fine. If you have bread flour, you could substitute that for the AP flour in most recipes. The extra gluten will help hold it together.

The issue I see is that cooked sweet potato has more moisture than regular potatoes, so frying will be messier.