• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gnocchi sauce?

SobaAddict70

I made a bunch of gnocchi a couple days ago. My problem -- I need ideas as far as sauce.

I could do Marcella's tomato sauce in a pinch. While that sauce is amazing in its own right, I'd like to go in a different direction this time.

My preferences: I don't like sauces that have a million ingredients in them (unless it's a complex preparation like bolognese). I don't care about the cooking fat used.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

I'm not sure where you define the "million ingredients" line, so these may be over it - but - what about a caper sauce or a puttanesca sauce?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Less is generally more.

Marcella's tomato sauce is an example. It's just tomatoes, butter, salt and half an onion.

A bolognese -- well, a good bolognese imho -- falls into the "million ingredients" category. I'm not opposed to making something like a bolognese, except it's not what I want to accompany the gnocchi, if that makes any sense.

Puttanesca seems like it could work, maybe. I don't want the gnocchi to be drowned by the competing flavor profiles though....

Brown some butter, toss in some garlic and the cooked gnocchi. Toss until the gnocchi get a little color on them. Finish with some fresh sage. Plate and grate on the cheese of your choice (I like pecorino or parmesan).

Hummm, were you reading my mind?

I have everything in my pantry already.

Keep the ideas coming.

Brown up some thinly sliced shallots and wild mushrooms, deglaze with water or sherry or whatever you've got. Put the gnocchi in the pan, glug of olive oil, heavy on the pepper. Presto.

I had been thinking of doing roasted mushrooms and cippolini onions tonight but that's another idea.

Choices, choices...

Yes, brown butter and sage is a great classic for gnocchi. Most often, it's just that: nothing more than brown butter and a few (as in 2-3 small ones) whole sage leaves cooked in the butter. The sage isn't usually eaten, it just flavors the butter.

--

I find myself in the same situation.

Here's a few ideas I'd like to experiment with:

- Some kind of pesto/herb sauce, maybe with cream or a good amount of olive oil to use up my frozen herb reserve before summer.

- Bacon and tomato

- Tapenade diluted in olive oil

- Nuts and garlic

- The classic brown butter and sage

- Lemon and white wine sabayon with black pepper and chive

- Caramelized onions with veal stock, wine and butter

- Bacon and greens (e.g. swiss chard or kale)

- Vanilla and parmesan

- Beurre blanc Morels and asparagus

- Vanilla and parmesan

Let's talk about this! I love vanilla in savory applications.

Believe it or not, Ferran Adria once had a cooking show in spanish. In one of his show he made a simple pasta dish using parmesan, a vanilla bean and a bit of the cooking water from the pasta. I tried this very simple dish at home and it was superb... but I think a bit of extra butter would make it even better. I think it might work wonderfully with gnocchi... if you want to make it fancy you can probably ad a bit of cress or arugula on top.

Carduta del Formaggio as Batali calls it.

This seems like a fairly straight-forward gongonzola sauce such as the one I describe above. This would be used on most any kind of gnocchi (except not stuffed gnocchi).

I have to believe that "carduta" is a mistake. There is no such word in Italian of which I am aware. It's probably supposed to be caduta meaning "fallen" (from the cheese).

Another favorite gnocchi saucing I forgot is duck ragu, which is very good on gnocchi that have been made with some chestnut flour in addition.

--

Thanks for all the suggestions (some of which are worthwhile for future reference).

I think I'm going to go with the brown butter option, sans garlic.

There'll be a pic later in the dinner thread. I suppose I should have also mentioned there'll be other things on the plate.

I've loved Mario Batali's gnocchi with sausage and fennel ever since I had it at Lupa years ago. His dish uses ricotta gnocchi (which are fantastic), but I'm sure it would be great with other gnocchi as well.

You can find the recipe here:

Ricotta Gnocchi with Sausage and Fennel

Food Blog: Menu In Progress