• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Workshops at ICE (Institute of Culinary Education)

gfron1

I'll fess up - I've never heard of ICE (sometimes I feel so insulated). And when I saw their cute little flier in my recent Chef Rubber shipment, I was prepared to toss it. But then I read the workshops:

Pulled Sugar Showpieces with Laurant Branlard 5/11-13

French Pastry with Dimitre Fayard 7/6-8

Chocolate Decorations with Norman Love 9/9-10

Sculpted Cakes with Elissa Strauss 10/19-21

Valrhona Plated Desserts with Derek Poirier 11/4-5

Ummm...wow! I want to go. If someone wants to thank me for sharing this info, you can register me for the Fayard workshop. Thanks.

Tangentially related - its odd that they would hold the Fayard workshop conflicting with the pastry championship in Scottsdale.

I've taken several classes with ICE and was on site during one of the pulled sugar show piece workshops. I wasn't taking that class, but we all got to go down and admire the work. I have some pics of those pieces on my site. It was amazing.

Every chance I get I try to spend a couple of weeks in NY taking back to back classes. I'll be doing so again, this April. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Those classes are all CAPS classes, for pros and diploma holders only. Chef Michelle Tampakis is in charge of arranging those classes, and she is very particular about attendees being able to show their experience.

If you check the prices on continuing ed programs in other schools, you will find their prices to be competitive, if not better.

I'm at ICE, taking classes as often as is financially possible. I've learned so much from all the chefs I have studied with, and will go until I've taken all the classes I can handle.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

And I'll add that I graduated the professional program from ICE, but back in the day when it was Peter Kump's, up on E. 92nd St.

Great school then, and even better now, with their state-of-the-art classrooms.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?