• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Tea Shops of America

Richard Kilgore

The new edition of The Great Tea Rooms of America by Bruce Richardson came out this summer. In this edition, he also included for the first time a section on The Great Tea Shops of America. (For a discussion of the Great Tea Rooms of America go here.)

All lists are fodder for discussion, so what do you think of Bruce Richardson's list of the Great Tea Shops of America? Which ones have you been to or ordered from and what did you like or dislike about them. Any you think should have been included that he left off? Any on it that you think should have been left off?

Great Tea Shops of America

The Cultured Cup - Dallas, Texas

The Perennial Tea Room - Seattle, Washington

The Tea Cup - Seattle, Washington

Tea Embassy - Austin, Texas

Teance - Berkely, California

Teaism - Washington, D.C.

Tea Source - St. Paul, Minnesota

Have only heard of Teaism out of the bunch, and have never been to any of them. I'd nominate The House of Tea in Philadelphia, but then again, it is the bricks and mortar tea shop in my part of the world that I go to... But it seems the best tea shops out there are mail order operations.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I've been to Tea Source - both the St. Anthony and St. Paul shops - many times.

Educated and pleasant staff; vast array of teas and accessories. They have a mail-order catalog and website, and I have been pleased with that service as well.

I agree, at least as far as the Chinatown NYC store goes. I had a very pleasant experience (with somebody who was much more English-speaker friendly) at the Ten Ren in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, strangely enough. The New York store is just surly, and has been for the dozen years I've been going there. And only the top of their line is interesting or conceivably worth it... my experiences with stuff below the third grade have been really not so good.

Their ginseng oolongs, particularly the green oolong varieties are very nice indeed. On the other end of the oolong spectrum, they also do a damn fine Bai Hao.

i don't appreciate tenren's sales approach-

i prefer to purchase their teas from their website-

i enjoy their rose and jasmine oolong

joanne

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I notice the absence of Chado Tea Room, Los Angeles and Pasadena on the list and wonder if there is some reason it was omitted.

Certainly James Norwood Pratt had spoken highly of Chado even before he became associated with Devan Shah with the Nilgiri Tea Society.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was pleased to see that The Cultured Cup made the list. Well deserved for many reasons.

Kyle and Phil have contributed hugely to the growing tea culture in Dallas through sponsoring the T-Bar Club, a monthly gathering to share information, learn more about tea regions of the world and taste teas that are difficult or impossible to source in the US. They have a sophisticated shop with a tea bar and a seating area where you can stop for a cup or a pot with friends and try any of their extensive inventory of MF teas or select group of other special teas. And they have a friendly and helpful staff. In addition, they provide consultation, teas, equipment and training to some of the best restaurants in Dallas. Much more in the shop than shows on their website, too.

I notice the absence of Chado Tea Room, Los Angeles and Pasadena on the list and wonder if there is some reason it was omitted.

Certainly James Norwood Pratt had spoken highly of Chado even before he became associated with Devan Shah with the Nilgiri Tea Society.

I don't know for sure, since I have only been to one tea shop on the list, The Cuiltured Cup, but my guess is that there are probably a small handful of noteworthy tea shops that didn't make the list, but carry, say 75 or more fine teas regularly, along with a variety of tea-things..and provide knowledgeable, helpful service.

Anyone else have a favorite B&M shop that they feel should have made the list?

• 1 month later...

I've been to the Teaism near Dupont Circle, and it was far more lunch spot than tea shop. Fusion-y asian food, lots of snacks. Not bad, just not really all about the tea.

On the other hand, here's one that IS all about the tea: Red Blossom Tea on Grant Avenue in Chinatown in San Fran is a great place that definitely deserves to be on any list of "best tea shops". Family owned; knowledgeable sales staff, wonderful products. Will brew anything on hand for you to taste before you buy.