• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry caramel with maltodextrin

Chefb28

Hey everyone I just finally got some Tapioca Maltodrexin and I'm trying to make dry carmel and the results are so dry! What do I need to do? Thaks in advance :smile:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

Hey everyone I just finally got some Tapioca Maltodrexin and I'm trying to make dry carmel and the results are so dry! What do I need to do? Thaks in advance :smile:

As I know it, a dry caramel is made by melting sugar without adding any liquids. Are you looking for something else? Or is "carmel" an entirely different product?

I thought the tapioca maltodextrin was used to make powders from oils or fats? So how about making a dry caramel, deglazing the pan with butter, then using that to make your powder? Not sure if it would work - but might be worth a try.

I thought the tapioca maltodextrin was used to make powders from oils or fats?  So how about making a dry caramel, deglazing the pan with butter, then using that to make your powder?  Not sure if it would work - but might be worth a try.

I thaught the fat from the cream would work, but when I added the maltodrexin in the robot coupe it almost turned into a paste, so I put the carmel/maltodrexin mixture into a boullion cup(bad idea) because now it's hard as a rock..lol But oh well live and learn.

Peace

Oscar Wilde

I thought the tapioca maltodextrin was used to make powders from oils or fats?  So how about making a dry caramel, deglazing the pan with butter, then using that to make your powder?  Not sure if it would work - but might be worth a try.

I thaught the fat from the cream would work, but when I added the maltodrexin in the robot coupe it almost turned into a paste, so I put the carmel/maltodrexin mixture into a boullion cup(bad idea) because now it's hard as a rock..lol But oh well live and learn. I'll have to try that, thanks

Peace

Oscar Wilde

Is this of any help to you. Scroll down for the recipe from Alinea.

It uses tapioca maltodextrin.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Exactly. There's a recipe in the new book for dry caramel.

Caramel base:

375 g sugar

350 g glucose

500 g cream

100 g butter

*so there are your fats to interact with the tapioca malto

Combine all and heat to 230 F. Pour onto silpat and cool to room temp.

Put 210 g of base in food processor with 65 g (30%) tap malt and process until absorbed.

Exactly.  There's a recipe in the new book for dry caramel.

Caramel base:

375 g sugar

350 g glucose

500 g cream

100 g butter

Combine all and heat to 230 F.  Pour onto silpat and cool to room temp.

Put 210 g of base in food processor with 65 g (30%) tap malt and process until absorbed.

Thanks gfron1 and anna n for the great info. I can't wait to try this out: I was also wondering where to find glucose? Thanks again

chefb28

Oscar Wilde

Glucose sryup for caramel can often be found in health food or bulk food stores, or you can simply use white corn syrup (Karo in the US) from the supermarket. Supermarket corn syrup contains a bit more water than glucose proper but that will boil off before it reaches temperature.

Exactly.  There's a recipe in the new book for dry caramel.

Caramel base:

375 g sugar

350 g glucose

500 g cream

100 g butter

Combine all and heat to 230 F.  Pour onto silpat and cool to room temp.

Thanks gfron1 and anna n for the great info. I can't wait to try this out: I was also wondering where to find glucose? Thanks again

chefb28

Glucose (dextrose) can also be bought in a powder form as well. Kerry Beal is right a little Karo light syrup will definitely do the trick. Also, when you use maltodextrin to make your caramel powder, be careful not to leave it in the food processor too long or it will become little pebbles. Some fats, like peanut butter, will require closer to a 2 fat:1 malt ratio.

Glucose (dextrose) can also be bought in a powder form as well.  Kerry Beal is right a little Karo light syrup will definitely do the trick.  Also, when you use maltodextrin to make your caramel powder, be careful not to leave it in the food processor too long or it will become little pebbles. Some fats, like peanut butter, will require closer to a 2 fat:1 malt ratio.

Indeed dextrose powder can be found - good for making sausages and bacon - but not suitable for use in a caramel recipe. A different animal entirely!

I never liked this recipe.

You can use plain maltodextrin, milk powder and caramelized sugar. Grind up the hardened caramelized sugar with milk powder and maltodextrin.

When you add cream to the mix you are adding water content, and only bringing it to 230f leaves quite a bit of water content in the mix. The more water you have, the more maltodextrin you need to absorb. If you start will little to no water content the you only need a fraction of tapioca maltodextrin. Instead of 30% you may only need about 5% and a weird gloppy ball won't form on your tongue.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I never liked this recipe.

You can use plain maltodextrin, milk powder and caramelized sugar.  Grind up the hardened caramelized sugar with milk powder and maltodextrin.

When you add cream to the mix you are adding water content, and only bringing it to 230f leaves quite a bit of water content in the mix.  The more water you have, the more maltodextrin you need to absorb.  If you start will little to no water content the you only need a fraction of tapioca maltodextrin.  Instead of 30% you may only need about 5% and a weird gloppy ball won't form on your tongue.

I know what you mean, because I had 2 cups cream making a just a basic carmel recipe so that took a lot of maltodextrin. I didn't have good results in the robot coupe the carmel turned into one big ball and has a bad texture on the tongue. That's a good call on the water content in the cream, that's probably the reason I had to add so much maltodextrin.

Oscar Wilde

I have a general question about using the maltodextrin - I have no experience in working with it... once mixed with the fat in question, how long will it keep in that form? Do you keep it at room temperature, or in the refrigerator?

So, for instance, let's say you wanted to make a nutella powder - will it start to clump after a while? Or worse yet turn into a giant nutella ball or nutella rock?

Thanks!